Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
California Small Business Insurance
If you’re a small business owner in California and you are looking for liability insurance for your business, you have to come to the right place. Hiscox does not offer a one-size-fits-all insurance plan, instead we tailor our small business insurance in California to meet your needs. Hiscox small business insurance products include:
General liability insurance, known as Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Bodily injury: A client falls over their personal trainer’s gym bag and the trainer is found legally liable for the injury. A general liability insurance policy could cover the personal trainer’s subsequent claim and related medical expenses up to policy limits of liability.
- Property damage and data loss: A consultant spills coffee on a client’s server causing damage and loss of data. The consultant’s general liability coverage could cover the subsequent claim, up to policy limits, and could pay for an attorney to defend the consultant if necessary.
- Personal injury: An employee of a public relations firm is at lunch. He talks to some of his fellow co-workers about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. General liability coverage could cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), covers another person’s claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services. Some examples of what could be covered include:
- Protection even if you haven’t made a mistake: A human resources consultant advises a client to change some internal processes to increase productivity. The recommendations are not implemented. If the client decides to sue, a professional liability policy could pay for defense costs, up to policy limits.
- Negligent acts: A consultant advises a client to update their employment practices. Six months later, the client contacts the consultant, stating a part-time employee is suing the company. The consultant left out a key requirement on the amount of hours part-time employees are permitted to work. A professional liability policy could appoint an attorney to defend the consultant, if the client sues.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Office insurance for fire and business interruption
- Electronic data loss insurance
- Hired or non-owned vehicle liability insurance
- Commercial crime insurance to cover the dishonesty of your employees
Learn more about business owners insurance.
Hiscox now offers state mandated workers compensation insurance to ensure that injured workers receive prompt and fair compensation for job-related injuries and diseases. In most states, laws require you to pay for an injured worker’s medical care, lost wages, and death benefits. A Hiscox Workers Compensation Insurance policy must be purchased with another Hiscox business insurance policy. To get a free quote, call us at 1-855-743-2308 and speak to a licensed insurance agent, Mon-Fri 8am-10pm ET.
Learn more about workers compensation insurance.
Example professions we insure in California:
How Hiscox can help your business in CA:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: Insurance custom tailored to meet your needs and save you money.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a US territory, or Canada.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your California business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Eric, Redding, CA
“Very helpful and good pricing.”
Very helpful, and good pricing.
It was pain free. The people I spoke with followed up and took care of my needs quickly. I would recommend Hiscox to colleagues.
Lilia, Orange County, California
"Great experience with Hiscox insurance!"
Hiscox service was great! They were friendly, quick, and easy to work with. My business plans changed so I no longer needed commercial insurance, but I would buy from them again because of the ease of purchasing and canceling the insurance without questions or complications. I would recommend this company to anyone needing to purchase commercial insurance.
Service Rating "My service feedback with Hiscox"
My experience was good with your company. All my questions were answered and my policy was what I needed.
Steve, Torrance, California
"Great service, great product, great company!"
The sales person was knowledgeable, the process was easy, and the overall experience was great!
Richard, San Diego, California
"Easy application process and personal follow up."
I happy with the process and the personal attention I received.
Our products have been approved by the California Department of Insurance, and are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Inc., and Illinois insurance company whose license number is 8754.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply any claim is covered. Coverage is subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.
Administered by Hiscox Inc., a Delaware corporations that is a licensed producer in all states and DC. 520 Madison Avenue, 32nd floor, New York, NY 10022. In California, Hiscox Inc. does business at Hiscox Insurance Agency (license no.: 0F09668).