Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs Photographer Insurance?
As a professional photographer, you're a specialist in your field, and we are here to help you succeed. We understand the unique risks associated with being a photographer, which involve much more than getting the perfect shot. Professional photographers work in difficult conditions across a wide variety of fields. That's why we offer photographers liability insurance to fit your specific needs in this ever-changing industry.
Here are some related insurance types we offer to protect industry professionals from risk
Example professions we insure
Insurance policies available for Photographers:
To make a successful career out of photography, you may need reliable professional liability insurance coverage, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance). This insurance covers claims against photography businesses, like yours, that provide professional and personal services.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance as a photographer? Examples include:
- Faulty memory card: You have been contracted to photograph an event, and your memory card fails causing you to lose all your photographs. You are devastated, and your client makes a claim against you for failure to deliver the photographs, as promised. Professional liability insurance could protect you and your business against claims of negligence even if you haven't made a mistake and the loss was caused by an unavoidable technical glitch.
Memory cards are important to photographers, but they don’t always work perfectly. See how Hiscox can help you protect yourself by requesting an insurance quote.
- Dissatisfied client: You are hired to photograph a wedding, but you forget to take pictures of key family members. You did your best, but there were hundreds of people who requested to be in photographs and you missed a couple of them. Your client may make a claim against you for negligence regarding the failure to fully deliver the agreed upon photography services. Hiscox’s professional liability insurance (errors and omissions insurance) may protect you if such a claim is made.
As all photographers know, some clients are easier to work with than others. Fortunately, Hiscox has created a smarter and more convenient way for photographers to get the right coverage at the right price.
Oftentimes, it’s not enough to only have professional liability insurance in the photography industry. General liability insurance, sometimes called commercial general liability Insurance or CGL, could protect your photography business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and/ or damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial to photographers in instances like these:
- Bodily injury: As a photographer, your job often involves equipment setup that can create a high-risk environment for slips and falls. What would happen if a client that you are working for tripped over a piece of high-cost equipment that you have set out for a photo shoot? General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs for situations like this.
- Defamation and libel: You were hired to photograph a charity event which featured an appearance by a high-profile celebrity couple. Since it was a big job, you hired an assistant to help out. During the event, the celebrity couple got into an argument, which your assistant overheard. The next day, reports of the argument appeared in the tabloids. The couple blamed your assistant and filed a lawsuit against your business. A general liability policy, from Hiscox, may be able to pay your defense costs as well as any settlement or judgement.
- Property damage: You are in a client’s home to photograph a couple's engagement photos. You are working with an assistant to help with the photography equipment. Your assistant knocks over and breaks an expensive antique vase, which costs thousands of dollars. At Hiscox, we may be able to cover the cost to replace the vase, up to the limits of your liability policy.
If you’re looking to reduce your insurance premiums, Hiscox can help.
Getting a Hiscox quote is easy! Learn more here.
Business owner's policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability insurance and business property insurance. This is an excellent option for photographers, like you, who want to protect yourself as well as the business you’ve worked so hard to build. A BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Photography equipment is expensive and requires special protection. Here is an example of what could be covered:
- You are finishing up a long day of photographing your client's conference. As you are loading your camera bag into your car, it slips out of your hand and hits the pavement. You open your bag to find that your 70-200mm lens and your portable hard drive are damaged. When you get home you discover that you can't even pull your photos off the hard drive. Your Hiscox Business Owners Policy could provide coverage for your damaged lens and hard drive and help cover the cost to recover your data from the damaged drive.
Photographs and video can't be taken without the proper equipment. Our business owner's insurance combines general liability coverage with protection for your photography equipment such as cameras, lights, computers, and grip equipment used to provide your service and satisfy your clients.
Why do Photographers choose Hiscox?
With all the potential situations described above, and all the insurance benefits that Hiscox offers, it’s easy to see why we are the insurance company of choice for photography professionals. We make it easy to get your policies set up, so you can focus on the important and creative work you do. Here are some of the most common reasons that photographers have chosen Hiscox:
- Buy direct: Get the right insurance immediately. Hiscox offers photography business insurance coverage that can be bought directly online, in real time.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Competitive rates: Our small business insurance quotes for photographers start from $22.50 per month in most states.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your photography business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
"Nothing complicated about it when it seems that so many things are just hard to get done most require so much time"
“So far my experience with Hiscox has been great. The sign up was pretty easy and the pricing I found to be better than I expected. I have already recommended it to others.”
Tom, San Antonio Texas
“Painless and efficient. Your staff is very helpful and gets things done quickly. Made doing business with Hiscox a breeze.”
Christine, York, Pa
“Customer service rep was very helpful and speed process along.”
Joe Sustersic, Naples, Florida
“The Hiscox agent was very knowledgeable and walked me through the enrollment process with ease. She answered all my questions and made me very comfortable with the purchase. Fees for coverages selected appear very reasonable. I would select Hiscox again for my business insurance needs.”
Diane, New York
“Unbelievably easy. Phone support very helpful. Pricing extremely competitive. Able to charge premium to a credit card.”
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.