Insurance for photographers
Speak with a licensed insurance agent: 1-866-283-7545
Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET M–F, 7a –10p ET
Do you need insurance as a photographer?
Liability insurance for photographers covers damages due to alleged failure to provide contracted services or providing them incorrectly. Additionally, if you own a significant amount of camera and lighting equipment, and work on someone else’s property you should consider general liability insurance. For more information on photography insurance browse the claim examples in the below accordions.
Insurance policies available for photographers
To make a successful career out of photography, you may need reliable professional liability insurance coverage, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance). Liability insurance for photographers covers claims against your businesses for providing professional and personal services.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance as a photographer? Examples include:
- Faulty memory card: You have been contracted to photograph an event, and your memory card fails causing you to lose all your photographs. You are devastated, and your client makes a claim against you for failure to deliver the photographs, as promised. Professional liability insurance could protect you and your business against claims of negligence even if you haven't made a mistake and the loss was caused by an unavoidable technical glitch.
Memory cards are important to photographers, but they don’t always work perfectly. See how Hiscox can help you protect yourself by requesting an insurance quote.
- Dissatisfied client: You are hired to photograph a wedding, but you forget to take pictures of key family members. You did your best, but there were hundreds of people who requested to be in photographs and you missed a couple of them. Your client may make a claim against you for negligence regarding the failure to fully deliver the agreed upon photography services. Hiscox’s professional liability insurance (errors and omissions insurance) may protect you if such a claim is made.
As all photographers know, some clients are easier to work with than others. Fortunately, Hiscox has created a smarter and more convenient way for photographers to get the right coverage at the right price.
Oftentimes, it’s not enough to only have professional liability insurance in the photography industry. General liability insurance, for photographers, could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and/ or damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial to photographers in instances like these:
- Bodily injury: As a photographer, your job often involves equipment setup that can create a high-risk environment for slips and falls. What would happen if a client that you are working for tripped over a piece of high-cost equipment that you have set out for a photo shoot? General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs for situations like this.
- Defamation and libel: You were hired to photograph a charity event which featured an appearance by a high-profile celebrity couple. Since it was a big job, you hired an assistant to help out. During the event, the celebrity couple got into an argument, which your assistant overheard. The next day, reports of the argument appeared in the tabloids. The couple blamed your assistant and filed a lawsuit against your business. A general liability policy, from Hiscox, may be able to pay your defense costs as well as any settlement or judgement.
- Property damage: You are in a client’s home to photograph a couple's engagement photos. You are working with an assistant to help with the photography equipment. Your assistant knocks over and breaks an expensive antique vase, which costs thousands of dollars. At Hiscox, we may be able to cover the cost to replace the vase, up to the limits of your liability policy.
If you’re looking to reduce your insurance premiums, Hiscox can help.
Getting a Hiscox quote is easy! Learn more about general liability insurance costs to make a smart and forward-thinking decision for your photography business.
As a photographer, your largest investment is in your cameras and equipment. Protect that investment with camera equipment insurance, which can pay to replace your equipment if it is stolen or damaged. Having the right insurance for photography equipment can get your business back up and running quickly after a loss. A photographer’s Business Owners Policy (BOP) includes insurance for photography equipment such as cameras, lenses, computers and electronic storage devices.
- You are finishing up a long day of photographing your client's conference. As you are loading your camera bag into your car, it slips out of your hand and hits the pavement. You open your bag to find that your 70-200mm lens and your portable hard drive are damaged. When you get home you discover that you can't even pull your photos off the hard drive. Your Hiscox Business Owners Policy includes camera insurance that could provide coverage for your damaged lens and hard drive and help cover the cost to recover your data from the damaged drive.
Photographs and video can't be taken without the proper equipment. Our business owner's insurance combines general liability coverage with protection for your photography equipment such as cameras, lights, computers, and grip equipment used to provide your service and satisfy your clients.
Related professions we also insure
Why do Photographers choose Hiscox?
With all the potential situations described above, and all the photographer liability insurance benefits that Hiscox offers, it’s easy to see why we are the insurance company of choice for professionals. We make it easy to get your policies set up, so you can focus on the important and creative work you do. Here are some of the most common reasons that photographers have chosen Hiscox:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.