Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for photographers?
As a professional photographer, you're a specialist in your field, and we are specialists at insuring it. We understand the unique risks you face. That's why we offer customized photographer liability insurance tailored to fit your specific needs.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Faulty memory card: You have been contracted to photograph an event, and your memory card fails causing you to lose all of your pictures. Your client could make a claim against you for failure to deliver the services promised. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven't made a mistake.
- Dissatisfied client: You are hired to photograph a wedding, but you forget to take pictures of key family members. Your client may make a claim against you for negligence regarding the failure to fully deliver the services agreed upon. Professional liability insurance (errors and omissions insurance) protects you if such a claim is made.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Bodily injury: As a photographer your job often involves equipment setup that can create a high risk environment for slips and falls. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Defamation and libel: You were hired to photograph a charity event which features an appearance by a high-profile celebrity couple. Since it was a big job, you hired an assistant to help out. During the event, the celebrity couple got into an argument, which your assistant overheard. The next day, reports of the argument appeared in the tabloids. The couple blamed your assistant and sued the photographer. A general liability policy could pay the your defense costs as well as any settlement or judgment.
- Property damage: You are in a client’s home for a couple's engagement photos. Your assistant knocks over and breaks an expensive antique vase. We may cover the cost to replace the vase, up to the limits of your liability.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Photographs and video can't be taken without the proper equipment. Our business owner insurance combines general liability coverage with protection for your photography equipment such as cameras, lights, computers, and grip equipment used to provide your service.
Learn more about business owners policy.
Why photographers choose Hiscox:
- Buy Direct: Get the right insurance immediately. Hiscox offers business insurance coverage that can be bought directly and online in real time.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Customized Coverage: We tailor our professional insurance to the risk you’ll face in your industry.
- Competitive Rates: Our small business insurance quotes start from $22.50 per month in most states.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
"Nothing complicated about it when it seems that so many things are just hard to get done most require so much time"
“So far my experience with Hiscox has been great. The sign up was pretty easy and the pricing I found to be better than I expected. I have already recommended it to others.”
Tom, San Antonio Texas
“Painless and efficient. Your staff is very helpful and gets things done quickly. Made doing business with Hiscox a breeze.”
Christine, York, Pa
“Customer service rep was very helpful and speed process along.”
Joe Sustersic, Naples, Florida
“The Hiscox agent was very knowledgeable and walked me through the enrollment process with ease. She answered all my questions and made me very comfortable with the purchase. Fees for coverages selected appear very reasonable. I would select Hiscox again for my business insurance needs.”
Diane, New York
“Unbelievably easy. Phone support very helpful. Pricing extremely competitive. Able to charge premium to a credit card.”
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.