Insurance for Architects and Engineers
Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for architects and engineers?
Whether you’re the architect who creates the vision or the engineer who ensures the safety and stability in making that vision a reality, there isn’t a project you face that comes without risk. One miscommunication, misinterpretation or mistake can cause costly delays, accidents, or even injury in some cases.
At Hiscox we understand the unique risks you face. That's why we specialize in protecting a range of architect and engineering professionals with customized coverage that fits your specific needs.
The A&E professionals we insure include (but are not limited to):
- Building Inspector
- Civil Engineer
- Project Manager
- Control System Integrator
- Electrical Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Interior Designer
- Landscape Architect
- Transportation Engineer
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Misinterpretation of renderings: A designer misinterprets your renderings and orders costly materials that are not going to work with your plans. Your mutual client is upset and sues both of you for professional negligence and demands that you reimburse him for the useless materials. You do not believe this is your fault but you have been named in the lawsuit and have a responsibility to appear in court. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend you, if needed, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
- The wrong advice: You advise a client to purchase a particular style of ramp for disabled individuals that you believe meets ADA standards. Turns out you were wrong, as the ramp has been outdated for some time. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend you, if needed, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Client injury: A client accidentally trips on his way to review your designs. As a result of the fall, the client suffers a serious cut that requires stitches. General liability insurance could protect against third-party claims of property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
- Personal injury: One of your employees is on a job site. He talks to the contractor about one of your mutual clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for property damage and bodily injury, to the extent you are liable, and related medical costs.
- Accidental property damage: A building inspector was hired to inspect a renovation project in an office building. Part of the building was occupied. While the inspector was passing through the occupied section of the building, he inadvertently knocked an expensive vase off a table in a lobby area. General liability insurance could protect building inspectors against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why architects and engineers choose Hiscox:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making quarterly payments (with no fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored Insurance: Insurance custom tailored to meet your needs and save you money.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, or a US territory.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Scott, Los Angeles, CA
“Minor Glitch Resolved with Quick Turnaround Response”
I needed General Liability Insurance. Hiscox was recommended by a co-worker for ease of use, quick activity, and good customer support. Even with a minor glitch where my Occurrence Limit did not indicate, Paul in customer service ... helped rectify the situation within 24 hours. My documents were updated and I could proceed with working with my clients.
Orit, Hazlet, NJ
“My representative was so accommodating and knowledgeable.”
Lewis, Provo, UT
“Very positive experience”
My experience was very positive. I have already recommended Hiscox to the Executive Director for another organization.
Lawrence, Novi, MI
“Good service by Hiscox”
Gilbert, Tampa, FL
“Great Customer Service”
Richard who assisted me was very customer oriented and responded back promptly to my inquiries.
Robert, Cartersville, GA
“Professional, friendly, and courteous.”
Very professional and courteous. Went above and beyond and answered all my questions.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.