Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for web designers?
As a professional web or graphic designer you provide a specialized service. We understand the unique risks you face, which is why we offer customized insurance tailored to fit your specific needs.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Creative differences: Although it might not be your fault, a website you have designed may not live up to your client’s expectations or may not function properly. Having the proper insurance for web design will protect you against claims of negligence, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
- Copyright infringement: We customize your coverage by automatically adding $200,000 of coverage for copyright infringement, since this is a common risk for graphic designers.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Property damage: You’re visiting your clients’ office for a design meeting and you accidentally spill coffee on your client’s computer, damaging it beyond repair. General liability insurance will cover a claim that may arise, up to your limits of liability.
- Bodily injury: As a graphic designer, you may sometimes attend trade shows. If you bring a large graphic to display and a visitor to the booth trips over it, injuring herself and files suit, you could be protected. General liability insurance can protect against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
- Personal injury: You were hired as a web designer to work onsite at a client’s office. You mistakenly left your laptop bag on the floor and one of the client’s employees tripped over it, injuring herself. If you are sued for the employee’s medical costs and lost wages, you could be protected. General liability insurance protects website designers against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Web and graphic designers manage large amounts of digital media files on a daily basis. Loss or damage of these files by a computer virus or fire could result in a loss of income for your business if it could not function. Our standard business owners policy includes up to $10,000 of coverage to replace or restore your electronic data.
- A graphic designer’s home office is damaged by fire. The damage to a high end computer caused by the fire is not covered by their homeowner’s insurance, but it is covered by their business owner's policy , which replaces the computer and lets the designer get back to business.
Learn more about business owners policy.
Why web designers choose Hiscox:
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your web design business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Mark X, Edison, NJ
“Very easy to work with, simple website”
Matthew, Durango, CO
“Fair policy at a fair price.”
So far I have no complaints. The price is fair and the policy covers what i need it to cover for the size if my business at the time being. I hope that I won't need to find out how difficult it may or may not be to file a claim. Thank you thus far for helping me be self-employed.
Jay, Richmond, VA
It was very easy to get started. The representative was very careful to answer all my questions and give me a good layout of their services. Time will tell how easy they are to work with.
Francisco, Miami, Florida
Easy to get insurance
Leslie, Chicago, IL
Friendly and easy
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.