Who needs web designer insurance?
Web designer insurance is an essential layer of protection for anyone who runs a business responsible for designing or implementing the look and feel or the functionality of client web pages and other sites of digital presence. This holds true whether the web designer works in a traditional office, a home office, or on a freelance basis. As web design involves varied projects, like translating a client’s vision into tangible deliverables, carrying through brand identity into new mediums, troubleshooting the successful launch of a website, and using expensive digital tools, there is significant room for professional liability and general liability claims to arise.
Fortunately, Hiscox provides coverage that allows web designers to address the risks associated with miscommunication, technological glitches, and plain bad luck. Small business insurance empowers those at the helm of their own web design businesses to thrive in today’s competitive tech environment. We understand the unique risks faced by web design professionals, which is why we offer customized insurance coverage that is tailored to fit the profession’s specific needs.
Since the scope of web designers’ work varies, those in the field may also be interested in learning more about the following related insurance products.
Example professions we also insure
Web designer insurance policies available
Professional Liability Insurance for web designers
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance),is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for web designers like you. For example, you and your client may have creative differences, or you could accidently infringe upon an existing copyright without realizing it. Protecting yourself and your business with web designers insurance is a smart business move that every tech professional should consider.
When is it important to have web design professional liability insurance? Here are a couple real-word examples that you may encounter in your day-to-day work:
- Creative differences: A website you have designed may not live up to your client’s expectations or may not function properly. Having the proper insurance for web design may protect you against claims of negligence, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
- Copyright infringement: We customize your coverage by automatically adding $200,000 of coverage for copyright infringement since this is a common risk for graphic designers.
Navigating the complex world of insurance can be a challenge for many professionals, but we’re here to help guide you every step of the way. Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General Liability Insurance for web designers
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property.
Having this kind of web designers’ insurance coverage is beneficial in several instances. In the next section, we’ll share a few examples that might sound familiar.
- Property damage: You’re visiting your client’s office for a design meeting and you accidentally spill coffee on your client’s computer, damaging it beyond repair. General liability insurance may cover a subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability.
- Bodily injury: As a graphic designer, you may sometimes attend trade shows. If you bring a large graphic to display and a visitor to the booth trips over it, injures herself, and files suit, you could be protected. General liability insurance can protect against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
- Medical costs: You were hired as a web designer to work onsite at a client’s office. You mistakenly leave your laptop bag on the floor and one of the client’s employees trips over it, injuring herself. If you are sued for the employee’s medical costs and lost wages, you could be protected. General liability insurance protects website designers against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Whether you work onsite or remotely for multiple clients, web design insurance coverage can protect your business.
Still have questions about how this type of insurance works? Learn more about general liability insurance cost or contact us with any specific concerns.
Business Owners Policy (BOP)
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for web designers who also want to protect their own business equipment.
Your equipment is what helps you do your job well and most efficiently, and we’re here to help keep it safe and protected. Since expensive and high-tech equipment is required in this line of work, BOP is a popular insurance option among industry professionals.
- Property loss: Web and graphic designers manage large amounts of digital media files. Loss or damage to these files by a computer virus or fire could result in lost business income. Our standard business owners policy includes up to $10,000 of coverage to replace or restore electronic data.
- Property damage: A website designer’s home office is damaged by fire. The damage to their computer is not covered by their homeowner’s insurance; fortunately, the business owners policy covers the cost to replace the designer’s equipment.
Business owners policies are an excellent option for many web design professionals and business owners. However, at Hiscox we understand that each individual’s coverage needs are unique. Our insurance experts are standing by and ready to help you make the best decision for your business. Learn more about business owners policy.
Why web designers choose Hiscox
Here are the top six reasons why web designers like you choose Hiscox for their insurance needs:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Whether you’re new to the industry or have been creating webpages since the early days of the internet, the ever-evolving tech world makes liability insurance for web designers essential.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your web design business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.