Why do real estate agents need business insurance?
Lawsuits against real estate agents are common due to alleged failures to disclose defects, negligent misrepresentations, missed disclaimers, misunderstandings about boundary lines, and other issues that arise in the sale of a property.
At Hiscox, we offer the professional liability insurance that real estate agents need in order to cover the professional services they provide and the general liability insurance to protect small business owners from bodily injury and property damage claims. Both of these types of insurance are valuable for real estate agents and protect against the varied risks specific to this field.
If real estate transactions are just one of several components of your small business’s services, then you may also be interested in learning more about these other types of related insurance that we provide:
Example professions we also insure
Real estate agent insurance policies available
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance for real estate agents is a smart investment because it can protect your business from potential claims and unpredictable risks. Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services — for real estate businesses such as yours.
This is an important type of insurance coverage for real estate professionals to have because of how personal and emotional the process of buying or selling property can be. Large sums of money are at stake in these transactions, and as a real estate agent, you are entrusted with the smooth and fair transfer of property between parties. With Hiscox by your side, you’ll feel confident in each real estate transaction on which you work.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Here are a few real-world examples that frequently occur in the business of real estate.
- Buyer’s remorse: After closing a sale of a lakefront property, the new homeowner claims the property doesn’t include the lake frontage. The homeowner brings a claim against you, alleging they overpaid for the home as you misrepresented the true boundaries of the property. Even though this is a groundless claim and a symptom of buyer’s remorse, the buyer sues you and puts your business at risk.
Professional liability insurance can protect your business and we will defend and indemnify you, even if you haven’t made this mistake and the allegations are groundless. Take the guesswork out of what happens in situations such as this by securing yourself with real estate agent liability insurance.
- Wrongful discrimination: Clients may claim that you did not show them certain homes because of their race, religion, or gender, even if you’ve done nothing of the sort. Whether true or not, these claims could result in lawsuits that put your business at risk and tarnish your reputation.
Claims of discrimination are a common risk that real estate agents face. Having the right professional liability insurance will protect you if a client makes a claim of wrongful discrimination against you. Allegations of discrimination are serious matters and ones that you don’t want to face alone. Empower your business today by requesting a real estate agent insurance quote.
Learn more about professional liability insurance on our website, or contact us with any questions you have.
General Liability Insurance
Since showing properties to potential buyers, hosting open houses, and attending networking events are all common in the real estate business, we also recommend general liability insurance coverage to many of the agents with whom we work. Hiscox offers customized real estate agent insurance to fit your needs; this includes both professional liability coverage and general liability coverage to ensure your small business is protected from risk.
General liability insurance, sometimes called commercial general liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property.
Although real estate agents often do not anticipate these types of issues arising in the normal course of their business, having general liability insurance coverage is valuable for real estate agents in several instances. Here are a few examples.
- Bodily injury: A potential home buyer that you are meeting with trips and falls over a rug on your office floor and injures herself. Since the injuries were sustained in your office, you could be held liable for the costs of her recovery.
Even the most seemingly minor slip-and-fall accident can result in substantial medical bills — bills that you could be responsible for paying if the injury occurred in your office. General liability insurance could protect you from third-party claims of bodily injury and associated medical costs. Be prepared for anything that comes your way with real estate agency insurance.
- Property damage: You are showing a client a home that contains a lot of expensive antiques. During the showing, you knock over an expensive vase which breaks. A general liability policy could cover the cost to replace the vase.
Accidents happen and it’s best to protect your business in advance. Request a real estate agent insurance quote from Hiscox.
You can also learn more about general liability insurance costs on our website to decide whether this type of policy is beneficial for your business.
Why do real estate agents choose Hiscox?
Real estate agents across the country choose Hiscox because we understand the unique needs of running this type of small business. Both professional liability claims and general liability claims can be very costly and take you by surprise. Whether or not you make a mistake, lawsuits are a risk in this often emotional and personal field. Hiscox understands and can help reduce these business risks so that you can get back to doing your job.
Here are six reasons why real estate agents trust Hiscox to keep their businesses protected and to help guide them through the insurance claims process.
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Now is the time to take control of your own financial future and make sure that your business is protected for the months and years to come. Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your real estate business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Shayla, New Orleans, LA
“Coverage in a matter of seconds.”
The policy was simple to purchase and covered every detail for my professional career. I would refer other professionals in my field to use Hiscox.
T Sakas, Atlanta, GA
A neighbor of mine works there; that's how I found out about them. The whole process was very straight forward. I tried at first to purchase what I needed on their website but found I had questions and called their customer service. I got through immediately and talked with someone who was very knowledgeable and helpful. He reviewed my online application with me and modified a few things that needed to be changed after our discussion. End to end process about 30 minutes. I had to call back about 10 minutes later to add a specific client organization to my policy. Once again, got through immediately and talked to someone who was equally knowledgeable and helpful.
They were very helpful and knowledgeable. I was able to get my certificates to our client that same day.
Michelle, Moreno Valley, CA
“Great service overall”
Aside from the fact that I had to call after filling out my online questionnaire. I feel the process was seamless and enjoyable. The representative I spoke with was friendly.
Suzanne, Phoenix, AZ
So easy to work with! Very polite and professional.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.