Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Maryland Small Business Insurance
If you have a professional services business in Maryland, you’ve come to the right place. We currently offer a range of small business insurance coverage, which includes professional liability insurance and general liability insurance. Hiscox small business insurance products include:
General liability insurance, known as Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Bodily injury: At a trade show, a booth designed by a marketing consultant falls down, injuring one of the client's sales reps who is in the booth at the time. The consultant's general liability policy could cover the costs associated with the sales rep's injuries.
- Personal injury: A temporary paralegal hired by a divorce attorney is eating lunch at a local restaurant with a friend. They are having a conversation about one of the attorney's clients who is in the midst of a messy divorce. The conversation is overheard by the client's ex-wife, who uses the information she hears to extract a larger settlement in the divorce. The client sues the attorney for slander, but a professional liability policy could protect them.
- Defamation and slander: An educational consultant was hired to help a family obtain special education services for their child. The director of special education at the school the child attends was difficult to work with. At a local conference, the consultant was overheard making disparaging comments about the director, and word got back to them. The director sued the consultant for slander and defamation. General liability insurance protects education consultants against third-party claims of defamation/slander, property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), covers another person’s claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services. Some examples of what could be covered include:
- Negligence: The client of a home healthcare aide is hospitalized with an infection, which the client's family says was caused by wound dressings that were not changed frequently enough. The family sues the aide. The costs could be covered by the aide's professional liability insurance policy.
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A property manager is sued by a tenant who claims they were illegally evicted from their apartment. Even if the manager didn't make a mistake, they could be covered by a professional liability policy for defense costs, as well as any settlement or judgment.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- A recruiter leaves his work computer in his car while driving to a company offsite meeting, where it gets broken into. A business owner’s policy could cover the cost to replace the computer and get the recruiter back up and running.
- There is a fire in the strip mall where a retail store is located, forcing the store to shut down for a week due to smoke damage. A business owner’s policy that includes business interruption coverage could protect the retailer from the costs associated with the loss of business.
Learn more about business owners insurance.
Example professions we insure in Maryland:
Why choose Hiscox for your business in MD:
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your Maryland business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Michael, District Heights, MD
"I applied for Commercial insurance directly from my desk. I did not have to leave work or take extra time. Excellent. Convenient and easy. Price was excellent.”
Charles, Baltimore, MD
"Get fast same day service from Hiscox. The agent went over everything on the phone. She listened to me, and helped me to get the best coverage for my business without having a great number of forms to fill out. I did not need to wait for days to get coverage, and I saved money."
Sherman, Baltimore, MD
Hiscox is a great company. They were very helpful when I got my personal training insurance.
Joshua, Bethesda, MD
"I've been shopping around for my business insurance. There's very little to look for once I've tried Hiscox."
Prompt and precise as always. I'm glad I went with Hiscox.
Tammy, Upper Marlboro, MD
“Fast and Easy. It was easy and very accurate.”
"Hiscox makes it easy to independently evaluate their services and just as easy to follow up and close the deal. I found their information clear and to the point and easy to follow up on."
Our products have been approved by the Maryland Insurance Administration and are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Inc., a Chicago, Illinois, insurance company whose license number is 1614.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverage is subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.
Administered by Hiscox Inc., a Delaware corporation that is a licensed insurance producer in all states and Washington, D.C. 520 Madison Avenue, 32nd Floor, New York, NY 10022.