Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for land surveyors?
As a land surveyor, property owners depend on the accuracy of your work, so you face specific risks. Hiscox understands these risks and we customize coverage for your specific business needs.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Code violations: You are hired to complete a land survey for a large addition to a home that is situated adjacent to wetlands. Your survey shows that the addition will not encroach on the wetlands, but after construction is complete, the town files a complaint against the homeowner. Your professional liability insurance policy could cover the costs associated with your defense, as well as any settlement or judgment the town imposes.
- Negligence: You complete a survey for a commercial property. The owner begins excavating based on your report, and the excavation contractor hits a gas line. The building has to be evacuated until the line can be repaired and gas service restored. The owner of the building sues you for lost revenue. You could be covered by a professional liability policy for defense costs as well as any settlement or judgement, up to your limit of liability.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Personal injury: One of your employees is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about one of your clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability, and pay for an attorney to defend you if necessary.
- Bodily injury: A worker at a site that you are surveying trips over your equipment, injuring himself. He makes a claim for the medical costs associated with his injuries, and for the wages he loses as a result. A general liability insurance policy could cover those costs, up to your limit of liability.
- Property damage: While conducting a site survey at a horticultural museum, you inadvertently walk across an area where rare seedlings were recently planted. Several of the plants were destroyed. Your general liability insurance policy may cover the cost to replace the plants, up to your policy limits.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why land surveyors choose Hiscox:
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Roberto, Reading, PA
Rep. was knowledgeable and courteous
' Simple & straightforward process '
Setting up a new business has been challenging & Hiscox made this step of the process very simple & straightforward. I wanted to bundle my small business insurance w/the company that I have my homeowner's insurance with, but they simply did not understand the need for Professional Liability (E&O).
John, Sacramento, CA
“First time customer, prices seemed fair, customer service very helpful”
Very good, first time I’ve purchased one, so I don’t have anything to compare it with, but everything went smoothly.
Diana, Houston, TX
“Wonderful experience. God rates!”
Great! Very responsive! Great customer service.
Katherine in Blue Springs, MO
' Fantastic Customer Service '
Fantastic Customer Service! Quickly reviewed and assessed my needs saving me money and time. Loved getting my documents right away!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.