Insurance for interior designers
Who needs interior designer insurance?
If you have an interior design or home decorating business, you're used to transformative before and afters. You’re likely busy working with clients, contractors and other designers. A lot of work occurs in clients' homes, business offices and even retail spaces. And, creating new or improved living and office spaces can include all kinds of fabrics, flooring, lighting and furniture. With your artistic vision and attention to detail, you also want to avoid common risks.
An example is an unstable scaffold that collapses and damages an expensive piece of furniture in a client’s home or office. The client might sue for damages and even a single negative review can harm your stellar reputation. However, your insurance policy is there to protect you when things go wrong.
Insurance can cover risks like these:
• Damage to your clients’ property.
• Using incorrect materials or making incorrect measurements.
• An on-the-job slip, trip or accident.
• Cyber breaches that expose client data.
• Failure to complete projects within budget or on time.
• Professional negligence or bad advice.
• Weather-related damage, vandalism or theft.
Reducing risks and losses can help you stay focused on growing your business. And, Hiscox can provide specialized insurance coverage as your business evolves.
Other design and construction professions we insure
Types of interior designer insurance policies available
Professional liability insurance, also called errors and omissions or E&O coverage, protects you from claims that you did something wrong while performing professional service. It also protects against claims of personal injury, which includes libel and slander.
For example, maybe you’re working on new kitchen backstops for a restaurant but the marble tiles are on backorder. The delay in installing the tiles forces the restaurant to push back their opening, and the client sues you.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability or commercial general liability (CGL) covers financial losses from someone else’s claim of bodily injury, property damage or personal injury. Whether you're renovating a single room or an entire home or office, there are several risks for your specific industry.
Learn more about how much general liability insurance costs.
For many interior designers, a business owners policy (BOP) may be the best choice. A BOP is a combination of general liability and business property insurance and is often used to provide coverage to small businesses with the aim of protecting valuable equipment.
For example, an interior designer is out consulting with clients at a coffee shop. He has his laptop at the shop, and it is stolen while the designer is getting a fresh cup of coffee. The laptop would be replaced if the interior designer had a BOP.
Learn more about business owners policy.
At Hiscox, we have the right insurance to protect your business whether a mistake is made or not. Because there are all kinds of lawsuits in today's design world, the right coverage is imperative.
Why do interior design professionals choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we know there are a host of challenges your business faces every day. Maybe you’re a new designer or you are adding more services to gain leverage. Our small business insurance policies help take the stress out of business ownership. There are fewer risks to concern yourself with.
Here's why businesses choose Hiscox interior design insurance:
- Claims responsiveness: Helpful agents are ready to assist with your covered claims.
- Commitment to service: We have a 4.8/5 customer service rating.
- Coverage for contracts: Our coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Custom insurance: We can customize policies specific to your risk factors. And, we work with businesses like yours every day.
- Flexible payment options: We offer annual or monthly payment plans with no added fees.
- Worldwide coverage: Have global locations? We cover work anywhere in the world, as long as you file your claim in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your beauty business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.