Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Washington, DC Small Business Insurance
D.C. is the place to be if you have a professional services business. Here you can capitalize on a range of small business insurance coverage, including but not limited to professional liability insurance and general liability insurance. Hiscox small business insurance products include:
General liability insurance, known as Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Bodily injury: A client comes to an accountant's office on a rainy day. The client slips and falls in the entryway of the building, breaking their wrist. The accountant's general liability policy could cover the costs associated with the client's injury, including lost wages.
- Property damage: An interior decorator is measuring a client's windows for new window treatments. The stepladder falls, knocking an expensive vase off a table and breaking it. The decorator's general liability policy could cover the cost to replace the vase.
- Personal injury: A temporary paralegal hired by a divorce attorney is eating lunch at a local restaurant with a friend. They are having a conversation about one of the attorney's clients who is in the midst of a messy divorce. The conversation is overheard by the client's ex-wife, who uses the information she hears to extract a larger settlement in the divorce. The client sues the attorney for slander, but a professional liability policy could protect them.
Learn more about general liability insurance costs to make a smart and forward-thinking decision for your business.
Professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), covers another person’s claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services. Some examples of what could be covered include:
- Negligence: A realtor lists a home for sale in a desirable neighborhood, and it sells quickly. A few months later, a similar home in the same neighborhood is sold at a considerably higher price. The seller of the first home sues the realtor, claiming they underpriced the home. The realtor could be protected by their professional liability policy.
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A personal trainer suggests a new exercise to a client. The client fails to disclose to the trainer that he had back surgery recently and the new exercise causes back pain. The client sues the trainer. A professional liability insurance policy could protect the trainer, even if they didn't make a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- A photographer’s tripod falls over while at a shoot, causing damage to the lens. The photographer has a business owner’s policy which could cover the cost to replace the lens.
- A graphic designer’s home office is damaged by fire. The damage to a high end computer caused the fire out is not covered by their homeowner’s insurance, but it is covered by their business owner’s policy, which replaces the computer and lets the designer get back to business.
Learn more about business owners insurance.
Example professions we insure in Washington, DC:
Why choose Hiscox for your business in DC:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your Washington DC business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Barbara, Washington, D.C.
"Helpful and friendly customer service. My salesperson was as professional as she was a pleasure to deal with! She gave me appropriate information and was extremely helpful."
Phillip, Washington, DC
Good. I was able to process most of it online.
Dee Taylor-Jolley, Washington, DC
"Easy to work with."
Easy to work with. Business finance options were clear.
Charles, Washington, DC
"HEADACHE-FREE INSURANCE! Very knowledgeable staff that was able to effectively and very efficiently figure out what I needed with no over-selling of any of their products. Thanks!"
Vincente, Los Angeles, CA
“Great customer service on the personal and business side”
I'm very happy with my experience both personal and business wise with Hiscox
Our products have been approved by the District of Columbia Department of Insurance Securities and Banking, and are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Inc., a Chicago, Illinois, insurance company whose license number is 10002298. Our workers’ compensation policy is offered through a licensed member of the EMPLOYERS® Insurance Group.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverage is subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.
Administered by Hiscox Inc., a Delaware corporation that is a licensed insurance producer in all states and Washington, D.C. 520 Madison Avenue, 32nd Floor, New York, NY 10022.