Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for CPR/first aid instructors?
If you are a credentialed CPR Trainer, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Your best solution is to protect yourself with liability insurance.
The exact coverage that is best for you depends on the details of your business. Many Hiscox customers seek to optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. To assure that you get the best coverage for your business, see the examples below.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A CPR trainer gives a comprehensive course on CPR to a community-based organization. Part of the training demonstrated how to perform CPR on an infant. Subsequently, one of the students in the case came upon an infant in a public park who was turning blue and unable to breathe. The student performed CPR too vigorously and the baby was injured with a bruised rib. The baby suffered no serious damage, but the parents sued the student and the instructor for teaching the wrong CPR methods. Professional liability insurance could protect you in such a situation.
- Negligence: A first aid instructor offers training classes in the community. At the conclusion of the class, the instructor gives each participant a first aid kit, which includes bandages, rubber gloves and other items. The kits include antihistamine tablets in a plastic packet which does not include an expiration date. Several months later, one of the graduates of the class gives the tablets to a relative at a family picnic who is stung by a bee. The tablets are ineffective, and the relative has to go to the emergency room. The family sues the instructor for providing expired medication. The instructor was protected by their professional liability insurance policy.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Property damage: A CPR trainer is teaching a class at a local university. The instructor has prepared in advance and brings along a slide projector loaded with valuable graphics. The trainer sets up his equipment, but leaves the electrical cord stretched out. One of the students trips over the cord, falls down and drops and breaks the laptop that he brought to take notes. The student later sues the instructor for the property damage he suffered. General liability insurance could protect against claims for bodily injury and property damage.
- Bodily injury: A client comes to the office of a first aid instructor to discuss a possible class for her employees. While in the appointment she sits back in an office chair too far, losing her balance. She falls to the tile floor causing herself injury. General liability insurance could protect against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Defamation: A CPR instructor made disparaging remarks about an executive in a client company, and they were overheard by the assistant to the executive. She reported them to the executive, who sued the CPR instructor for defamation. General liability insurance protects CPR instructors against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why CPR/first aid instructors choose Hiscox:
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Yuhsiang, Redmond, WA
“Happy with purchase. I had some special need to my liability insurance but I was traveling a lot and so email them the request. They call me back right away and explain to me patiently and get it done right away. I am very happy with the purchase. The only down side is that the policy will continue to charge unless I call them to stop, which to me, it seems that should be optional.”
Kevin, Harrison Township, MI
"Turnkey insurance coverage." The agent was very helpful and timely to get back to me.”
"Clear + Professional Custom Service" I had a fantastic discussion with a representative on the phone that helped clarify my questions and select the proper policy.”
"My service feedback with Hiscox"
John Baker, Riverside, California
"I'm officially a professional!"
Service was very good. All my questions were answered. I feel much better having the insurance for my new real estate photography business. Telling my clients I'm insured goes over much better than telling them nothing at all.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.