New York City Small Business Insurance
Hiscox offers a new way to buy business insurance for small businesses in New York (and all other states except Alaska) starting at $22.50 per month either online or over the phone from a licensed agent in minutes. We specialize in general liability insurance, professional liability insurance (known as errors and omissions insurance) and business owners policy. We cover a range of professions such as IT consultants, real estate agents, health and beauty professionals and many others. Buy small business insurance tailored to your professional starting with a fast, free quote.
General liability insurance, known as Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Damage to property: A realtor is holding an open house at a high-end apartment, and an expensive lamp is broken. The apartment’s owner makes a claim against the realtor for the cost to replace the lamp. A general liability insurance policy could cover the claim for property damage up to the policy limits.
- Bodily injury: The patient of a personal care assistant slips and falls over the personal assistant’s laundry bag while the PCA is at their home, breaking a hip. The family blames the accident on the PCA, and they make a claim for the costs associated with the injury. The personal care assistant’s general liability policy could cover the claim.
- Third-party accidental bodily injury: A consultant met with a client at the consultant’s office to discuss a potential project. Upon leaving the office, the client slipped and fell on the icy sidewalk outside the consultant’s office.The client sued for bodily injury. General liability insurance protects research consultants against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), covers another person’s claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services. Some examples of what could be covered include:
- Negligence: A human resources consultant was asked to make recommendations to a company in which morale was low. Several of the consultant’s suggestions were implemented, but morale continued to decline and several key managers left the company, resulting in a decline in revenue. The client sued the consultant, claiming negligence. Professional liability insurance protects human resources consultants against claims of negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend them, if needed, even if they haven’t made a mistake.
- Protection even if you haven’t made a mistake: A bookkeeper, who does not provide tax advice, is sued by a client when they are audited by the IRS. Professional liability insurance could pay for the bookkeeper’s defense costs, as well as any settlement or judgment.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Office insurance for business interruption: An architect’s high-end computer is damaged by a power surge to their building. A business owner’s policy could cover the cost to replace the computer, up to policy limits, and keep the business up and running.
- There is a fire in the strip mall where a retail store is located, forcing the store to shut down for a week due to smoke damage. A business owner’s policy that includes business interruption coverage could protect the retailer from the costs associated with the loss of business.
Learn more about business owners insurance.
Hiscox now offers state mandated workers compensation insurance to ensure that injured workers receive prompt and fair compensation for job-related injuries and diseases. In most states, laws require you to pay for an injured worker’s medical care, lost wages, and death benefits. A Hiscox Workers Compensation Insurance policy must be purchased with another Hiscox business insurance policy. To get a free quote, call us at 1-855-743-2308 and speak to a licensed insurance agent, Mon-Fri 8am-10pm ET.
Learn more about workers compensation insurance.
Comparison to Competition:
Example professions we insure in New York City:
About our New York City Hiscox Office
The Northeast Region has offices in White Plains and Midtown Manhattan. Our New York City offices also serve as Hiscox USA’s headquarters, housing our executive team and corporate functions including marketing, direct, human resources, finance, compliance, and state filings. The underwriting team in New York include underwriters representing all Hiscox lines of business insurance, and many of our product heads and practice leaders. We are proud to offer business insurance in New York and the surrounding Northeast Region.
New York state is rich in tradition and history and it is no wonder that settlers chose this region to create the rich culture of influence that resides here. From the towering mountains of the Adirondacks to the treasured city that bears its name, it is truly a wealth of magnificent beauty and diversity. The influx of immigrants over the past two hundred years has broadened the ethnicity and given dimension to who and what are represented here.
Hiscox New York Office
520 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Fax: 212 922 9652
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business, too. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday thru Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Nicole, Brooklyn, NY
She was informative, knowledgeable, professional
Jose, New York City, NY
Services and quick response
Ashley, Astoria, NY
“Easy to set up, Easy to add my waiver of subrogation.”
Alvaro, New York City, NY
“Excellent service by Hiscox”
Fast and easy
Daniel, New York City, NY
“Quick and Easy, No Hassle Business Insurance for SMB”
Quick and easy account set up and courteous customer service for SMB independent designers and companies.
Robbin, New York City, NY
“Spoke to a real person”
I spoke with a representative who asked me questions about my business, and became genuinely interested in what I do as a teacher. I felt a personal connection, and that is extremely valuable to me.
Our products have been fully approved by the New York Insurance Department and are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Inc., an Illinois insurance company.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverage is subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.
Administered by Hiscox Inc., a Delaware corporation that is a licensed insurance producer in all states and Washington, D.C. 520 Madison Avenue, 32nd Floor, New York, NY 10022.
Hiscox is concerned for the safety and welfare of our customers. Customers who obtain an order of protection against another customer listed on the same policy may call us toll-free at 855-975-6266 to provide us with contact information that will not be disclosed to the person against whom the order was issued, as required by New York law. In addition, the New York State Domestic Violence Hotline may be reached toll-free at (800) 942-6906 and in New York City at (800) 621-HOPE (4673).