What is Business Owners Insurance?
Also known as a business owners policy or BOP insurance, a business owners insurance policy combines general liability coverage and protection for your business equipment, such as computers, printers, copiers and office furniture.
Most BOP insurance policies only offer a one-size-fits-all package. We believe in customizing your small business owners insurance coverage to suit your specific business needs. We also offer a range of coverage upgrades including office insurance, hired or non-owned vehicle insurance, a commercial crime insurance package and an electronic data loss package.
Who needs Business Owners Insurance?
If you want to combine general liability insurance with coverage for your business equipment and other risks, this is for you. Consider a business owners policy if you:
- Need general liability insurance coverage.
- Have business equipment such as computers, printers, furniture.
- Own the building from which you work and need to insure the property.
- Own and work with large amounts of data on a regular basis.
- Have employees that could act dishonestly or steal client’s property.
Included in your Business Owners Insurance policy:
- General liability insurance: Hiscox's business owners insurance includes general liability insurance, which covers third party claims arising from bodily injury, as well as the associated medical bills. It also covers liability claims linked to damage of a third party’s property and more. For more information, see our general liability insurance coverage page.
- Business equipment insurance or business personal property insurance: Hiscox will cover all your business furniture and equipment at up to five different office locations. We automatically include a limit of $10,000 of coverage that can be increased if needed. We also provide $10,000 default coverage for equipment you take away from your office such as laptops, projectors or other insured equipment, with up to $25,000 possible by calling us. Items are even covered against accidental damage. For more details and some helpful claims examples see our business equipment insurance page.
Additional coverage options:
- Office insurance or commercial property insurance: If you own your office, you’ll likely need to insure the building against risks such as fires. Hiscox offers this protection, as well as business interruption coverage, which covers related expenses like lost income, up to the applicable policy limit if your business can’t operate because of an insured loss. For more details and some helpful claims examples please see our office insurance coverage page.
- Hired or non-owned vehicle liability insurance: This upgrade protects your business in situations where an employee using their own (or rented vehicle) has an accident while driving for business purposes and your company is held liable. For more details and some helpful claims examples see our hired or non-owned auto liability insurance page.
- Electronic data loss upgrade: If you work with a lot of electronic data, our electronic data loss upgrade is essential for you as a part of your business owners policy. Loss or damage to your data by a fire (which destroys your servers) or a computer virus could result in lost income, which is why we offer this upgrade. For more details and some helpful claims examples see our electronic data loss package page.
- Commercial crime insurance upgrade: Our crime package covers claims relating to acts of dishonesty, forgery or theft of a client’s property by one of your full-time or temporary employees. For more details and some helpful claims examples see our commercial crime insurance page.
Why choose Business Owners Insurance from Hiscox?
Hiscox has the small business owners insurance you need at the price and convenience you want. We’ve included optional upgrades for maximum customization to your business, which means you only pay for what you really need.
- We're the first U.S. insurer to offer a business owners policy you can buy direct and online in real time. See example small business owners insurance quotes or call one of our licensed advisor at 888-202-3007 (Mon-Fri, 8am-10pm EST).
- Flexible coverage limits and deductible options ensure you get the right coverage and price for your business.
- Our policies cover claims arising from acts of your employees and temporary staff.
- Business owner’s policy rates start from just $400 per year.
- You can choose to pay in full, or sign up for automatic monthly payments (with no fees).
Money back guarantee
Hiscox gives you 14 days to review the policy. If you're not satisfied for any reason, and haven't had a claim or loss, you can cancel and receive a full refund.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.