Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs retailers insurance?
Retailers who buy goods from a manufacturer, distributor or wholesaler and then sell them to customers at a marked up price, either online, via mail or through physical store locations, should have general liability insurance. Problems can arise if a customer gets injured or their property is damaged at your location. Obtaining insurance for retailers is a great way to protect yourself while continuing to provide a positive shopping experience to your customers.
We also insure:
Policies available for retailers
For the majority of retailers, general liability insurance will serve as the best form of protection against certain types of claims.
General liability insurance for retailers
Also called commercial general liability (CGL), general liability insurance covers against such things as property damage, claims of bodily injury and associated medical costs, and personal injury like slander and libel.
For example, if a customer trips over a rug while walking in your store and you are legally liable for the injury. A general liability insurance policy would cover the subsequent claim and related medical expenses up to your limits of liability.
Though your own property won't typically be covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to third-party property will be.
Learn more about general liability insurance costs.
Why do retailers choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into being a successful retailer. If you’ve opened up your own store, we can help you grow your business by reducing risk with our insurance policies, allowing you to focus on what really matters: providing a top-notch experience to your customers.
Here are six reasons why retailers choose Hiscox above other providers for small business insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our retailers insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Allen, Daytona Beach, FL
Great and really helpful
John, Sacramento, CA
“First time customer, prices seemed fair, customer service very helpful” Very good, first time I’ve purchased one, so I don’t have anything to compare it with, but everything went smoothly.
Diana, Houston, TX
“Wonderful experience. God rates!”
Great! Very responsive! Great customer service.
The website was easy to use. I liked the ease of viewing pricing information for the various products.
John, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
“Superb online option for an online world!”
Loved it. Simple. Easy. Clear. And fast. What more can you ask for? Seriously, it was much easier and far faster than I expected and it helped me meet the requirements of a client's Master Service Agreement in record time.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.