Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for mental health/substance abuse counselors?
If you are a certified substance abuse counselor or mental health counselor, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Your best solution is to protect yourself with liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A concerned parent has hired a substance abuse counselor for her college student son who was having problems with drug and alcohol use. The treatments starts and the son reports back to his parents that the treatment is working. It soon becomes clear that the son has not stopped his behavior when he is arrested again for DUI. The parents are irate and sue the counselor for malpractice. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t done anything wrong.
- Sexual misconduct: A client has been seeing a mental health counselor for years and starts speaking and acting as if the relationship was more than just therapy. The mental health counselor recognizes that this is happening and asks that the patient find a different counselor. The client sues for abandonment and claims the mental health counselor initiated the inappropriate relationship. Professional liability insurance could protect the counselor against claims of negligence even if they haven’t done anything wrong.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Client's property damage: A mental health counselor is visiting a client’s home for an in-home session and accidentally knocks over a tablet, breaking it. Their general liability policy could cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits of liability.
- Bodily injury: A substance abuse counselor rents office space in a medical office. A young patient becomes very upset during her counseling session and jumps up out of her chair, knocking it over and injuring herself. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Personal injury: The receptionist of a mental health counselor is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim, up to the limits of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why do mental health counselors choose Hiscox?
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.7/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
John, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
“Superb online option for an online world!”
Loved it. Simple. Easy. Clear. And fast. What more can you ask for? Seriously, it was much easier and far faster than I expected and it helped me meet the requirements of a client's Master Service Agreement in record time.
Beth, Tulsa, OK
“Best experience with an Insurance Company”
This was by far one of the best experiences I had had with an insurance company. Very knowledgeable staff. Dolly was the best!
Joel, New York
“Saved and the process was painless”
The policy purchase was easy and customer service very helpful.
Alex, Columbia, IN
“ease of use”
Site was easy to find and use. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for insurance.
“Very straight forward process”
Very straight forward. Process was very easy. Policy options were very clearly explained.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.