Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs family counselor insurance?
Family counseling professionals who offer guidance to couples, families and groups dealing with issues that affect their mental health and well-being should get professional and general liability insurance. Problems can exist when working with clients who may take issue with certain methodologies. Obtaining insurance is an excellent way to protect yourself while continuing to provide beneficial services to clients—especially true for family counselors who work in private practice.
Related professionals we also insure
Insurance Policies available for family counselors
For the majority of counselors, there are two important types of insurance policies worth considering. Each type of insurance provides unique aspects of protection to help you run your family counseling business with confidence.
Professional Liability Insurance for family counselors
Professional liability insurance—also called E&O Insurance—provides a number of potential benefits, including coverage for personal injury (libel and slander), negligence, defense costs and claims against past-rendered services. Though events such as fraudulent acts and property damage aren't usually covered by professional liability insurance, this type of insurance is crucially important for those who regularly provide professional services or advise clients, including most family counseling professionals.
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A family counselor is working with a husband, wife, and teenage daughter. The couple is on the brink of divorce, and the daughter has been neglecting school. The family’s problems escalate, and they stops treatment. A few days later, the family informs the therapist of the daughter moving across country to live with a grandparent. The mother is claiming that the situation was caused by the family counselor. Professional liability insurance could protect the counselor if such a claim is made.
- Negligence: A parent hired a family therapist to help her and her son deal with his substance abuse. After a few sessions, the son tells his parents that the treatment is working. A month later, however, the son is arrested for a DUI. The parent is irate and sues the counselor for negligence. Professional liability insurance could protect a counseling business against claims of negligence even if the company did not make a mistake.
Should a client react negatively to treatment, accuse you of breaching confidentiality agreements, or otherwise feel that they have been damaged in some way by the services you provide, the risk of getting sued can be high. You can protect yourself by getting professional liability insurance—an important tool for providing peace of mind to those in the family counseling profession.
General Liability Insurance for family counselors
In addition to times when family counselors can benefit from professional liability insurance, there are some scenarios that are not usually covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also called Commercial General Liability (CGL)—covers against property damage, claims of bodily injury and associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: A family counselor is seeing a husband and wife in her office. The wife slips and falls on the way to the restroom and hits her head against a wooden desk. As a result, she files a claim against the family therapist. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury.
- Slander: A family therapist is eating lunch at a local restaurant with a friend. They are having a conversation about one of the therapist's clients who is in the midst of a messy divorce. The conversation is overheard by the client’s neighbor, who tells the client what they over heard. The client sues the therapist for slander, but a general liability policy could protect them.
- Damage to third-party property: A family therapist goes to the home of their clients. When they arrive, the therapist accidentally knocks over a very expensive lamp in their foyer, breaking it. The client demands that the therapist replace the lamp. General liability insurance protects therapists against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Though your property isn't usually covered under family counseling insurance, damage sustained to third-party property can be. Learn more about general liability insurance costs to make a forward-thinking decision for your business.
Why do family counseling professionals choose Hiscox
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into being a family counselor. Whether you've opened a private practice or are working in a different capacity, we can help your business grow and allow you to focus on what really matters – providing beneficial services to the community.
Here are six reasons why family counselors, like you, choose Hiscox above other providers for liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Ready to learn more about how Hiscox insurance can help mitigate risk with family counseling insurance coverage?
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Richard, Atlanta, GA
Fast accurate painless
Matthew, Naperville, IL
“Easy to signup at Hiscox!”
Purchase experience was very easy.
Benjamin, Wayne, PA
“Great customer support and advice”
Your people have been great – so knowledgeable and helpful. Exceeded my expectations.
Sharon, Portland, OR
“Try Hiscox first – best service and prices anywhere.”
The whole process was easy, quick and very professional. I had applied for the same coverage with two local companies and after filling out many pages of forms, the price was way too high. His cox kept it simple and your pricing is amazing.
Donnell, Las Vegas, NV
The rep was pleasant and assuring. My purchase was expedited efficiently!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.