Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for family counselors?
If you are a licensed family counselor, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Your best solution is to protect yourself with liability insurance.
The exact coverage that is best for you depends on the details of your business. Many Hiscox customers seek to optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. To assure that you get the best coverage for your family counseling business, see the examples below.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A family counselor is working with a husband, wife, and teenage daughter. The couple is on the brink of divorce, and the daughter has been neglecting school. The problems escalate, and the family stops treatment. A few days later the therapist is informed that the daughter has left the home to move across the country to a grandparent, and the wife is claiming that the situation was caused by the therapist. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Negligence: A parent hired a family therapist to help her and her son deal with his substance abuse. After a few sessions, the son tells his parents that the treatment is working. A month later, however, the son is arrested for a DUI. The parent is irate and sues the counselor for negligence. Professional liability insurance could protect substance abuse, mental health, and marriage and family counselors against claims of negligence even if they haven’t made a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Bodily injury: A family counselor is seeing a husband and wife in her office. The wife slips and falls on the way to the rest room and hits her head against a wooden desk. As a result, she make a claim against the family therapist. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury.
- Slander: A family therapist is eating lunch at a local restaurant with a friend. They are having a conversation about one of the therapist's clients who is in the midst of a messy divorce. The conversation is overheard by the client’s neighbor, who tells the client what they over heard. The client sues the therapist for slander, but a professional liability policy could protect them.
- Damage to third-party property: A family therapist goes to the home of their clients. When they arrive, the therapist accidentally knocks over a very expensive lamp in their foyer, breaking it. The client demands that the therapist replace the lamp. General liability insurance protects therapists against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why family counselors choose Hiscox:
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Richard, Atlanta, GA
Fast accurate painless
Matthew, Naperville, IL
“Easy to signup at Hiscox!”
Purchase experience was very easy.
Benjamin, Wayne, PA
“Great customer support and advice”
Your people have been great – so knowledgeable and helpful. Exceeded my expectations.
Sharon, Portland, OR
“Try Hiscox first – best service and prices anywhere.”
The whole process was easy, quick and very professional. I had applied for the same coverage with two local companies and after filling out many pages of forms, the price was way too high. His cox kept it simple and your pricing is amazing.
Donnell, Las Vegas, NV
The rep was pleasant and assuring. My purchase was expedited efficiently!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.