Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs dietitian/nutritionist insurance?
Acquiring dietitian/nutritionist insurance should be a top priority for any entrepreneur whose business focuses on providing individualized nutrition plans, publishing studies on proper nutritional habits, conducting nutrition-based research, working with clients to alter their eating habits, and conducting health and wellness evaluations, including diagnosing eating disorders. The importance of dietitian/nutritionist insurance remains paramount whether one runs their business from a traditional office, a gym or wellness center, a home office, or if they visit clients’ homes to perform consultations.
There are high stakes involved in providing nutritional counseling which include protecting confidential patient information and maintaining or traveling to a place of business. Dietitians and nutritionists need comprehensive liability insurance on their side to protect them from the associated costs of potential accidents and errors – both actual and mistakenly perceived.
If you are a licensed professional, making an investment in the right insurance plan helps you prepare for the unexpected and empowers you to take the risks necessary to excel. At Hiscox, we know that the exact coverage that is best for you depends on the breadth and circumstances of your services. Many Hiscox customers seek to optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies.
To make sure you get the coverage that best fits your business, you may also want to explore related insurance products.
Examples of professions we also insure
Nutritionists policies available
Professional Liability Insurance for nutritionists and dietitians
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for diet and nutrition businesses like yours.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance? It is very possible for a client or patient to sue you because of a mistake you made or a change in a person’s condition that could have not been predicted in advance.
- Bodily injury: A dietitian recommends a particular nutrition plan to a client. The client later suffers a severe allergic reaction as a result. Professional liability insurance may protect dietitians against claims of bodily injury.
- Protection even if you haven’t made a mistake: A nutritionist is advising a patient on a weight loss program, but after a few months of treatment the patient is diagnosed as pre-diabetic. The patient blames the nutritionist and makes a claim. Professional liability insurance may protect you in such a situation.
Even with the best of intentions and the most thorough assessments of a patient’s health condition, it is impossible to know everything that is going on inside a person’s body. At Hiscox, we don’t claim to be medical experts. But we are experts in business insurance, so let us show you how liability insurance for nutritionists can protect your business for the long-term.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General Liability Insurance for dietitians and nutritionists
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’ claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. These risks are significant and are best addressed in advance.
There are many reasons why general liability insurance for nutritionists is essential, but we’ll provide just a few real-world scenarios that may sound familiar.
- Personal injury: A dietitian made disparaging and untrue comments about one of her clients to a coworker. The client turned out to be a friend of the coworker and the conversation got back to the client, who sued the dietitian for slander. General liability insurance may protect dietitians against third-party claims of slander, property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: A patient who has just undergone bariatric surgery visits a nutritionist for recommendations on a special dietary regimen. On her way back to the waiting room after her consultation, the patient slips on a floor mat and fractures her wrist. General liability insurance may protect against another person's claims for bodily injury and property damage.
- Property damage: While in a client’s home for an in-home visit, a nutritionist accidentally knocks over an expensive vase, breaking it. A general liability policy could cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits of liability.
Nutritionists and dietitians understand that convenience and accessibility are necessary for their patients. Working inside of clients’ homes could put your small business at risk, but Hiscox can help. Contact us to get a quote for insurance for nutritionists.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why dietitians and nutritionists choose Hiscox
Here are the top six reasons why our clients value the dietitian and nutritionist insurance options we offer:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your nutritionist/dietitian business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Charlotte, Garland, Texas
Good. They got back to me right away
Brenda, Jacksonville, FL
"I loved my experience!" I was very satisfied with my policy and price. Very doable! Everyone was eager to help and definitely informative. Excellent customer service. Hiscox provides great policy information and easy to understand detailed explanations of insurance terms. This allows for the ability to make a sound and informed business decision. I would recommend this company as a possible insurance source. I would purchase from them again.”
Christy, Brooksville, Florida
Fabulous, friendly, informed, and informative.
Lanice, New Orleans, LA
Service Rating "Highly recommend this company to do business"
Very easy, convenient, professional service
Jeffrey, Boca Raton, FL
“The representative was very helpful and knowledgeable. She was a pleasure to deal with. She made the process extremely simple and straightforward.”
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.