Michigan Small Business Insurance
Hiscox offers Michigan small business insurance to professional services companies, offering professional liability insurance and general liability insurance. Hiscox small business insurance products include:
General liability insurance, known as Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- Bodily injury: A prospective client comes to a job site to see the work a finish carpenter is doing. While there, the client trips over one of the carpenters tools and is injured. The carpenter's general liability insurance policy could cover the costs associated with the injuries sustained by the client.
- Property damage: A landscaper's assistant inadvertently cuts down a rare tree on a client's property. The landscaper's general liability policy could cover the cost to replace the tree.
- Damage to third-party property: A tutor goes to the home of a student. While they are working, the tutor accidentally knocks over a very expensive lamp, breaking it. The student's parents demand that the tutor replace the lamp. General liability insurance protects tutors against third-party claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
Learn more about general liability insurance costs for your business.
Professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), covers another person’s claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services. Some examples of what could be covered include:
- Negligence: A bookkeeper hires a temporary worker to help out during tax season. The temp incorrectly credits an IRA contribution for the previous tax year, which causes a client to have to pay additional tax and a penalty. The client sues the advisor to recover the penalty. The advisor is protected by a professional liability insurance policy, which could cover the claim.
- Code violations: An architect who designed a new school was unaware that the accessibility requirements for schools in the state had recently changed, and were now different from other public buildings. The school was cited for code violations and the architect had to appear in court. Professional liability insurance protects architects against claims of negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend them, if needed, even if they haven't made a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
Business owners policy (BOP) is a combination of general liability and business property insurance. BOP is often used to provide balanced coverage for small businesses who also want to protect their own business equipment. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
- The office next to a credit counseling agency has a water pipe burst and the water leaks into the office next to it, damaging several desks, chairs, and computers. The insurance agency’s business owner’s policy could cover the cost to replace the damaged furniture and equipment.
- A marketing company has several sophisticated trade show booths that they transport to various locations around the country. Two of the booths are severely damaged while being flown back from a show. The company’s business owner’s policy could cover the cost to replace the booths.
Learn more about business owners insurance.
Example professions we insure in Michigan:
Why choose Hiscox for your business in MI:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your Michigan business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Ray, Canton, MI
“Timely response for crucial documentation”
Easy to review, come to a purchase decision, and download. This was vital for my business to qualify for a potential client’s buyer and secure a meeting. Many thanks.
“Hiscox made it very easy to buy professional liability insurance.”
I had to purchase professional liability insurance for a government contract. The Hiscox agent was very knowledgeable, and very helpful to me in making decisions about the coverage. She reviewed my gov’t contract, and put together a policy to meet the precise requirements.
Chris, Holland, Michigan
“Your representatives were very helpful. Being new in a business like consulting I was unsure of how to identify my work. First due to not doing it yet and Second matching it to your defined jobs. Your representatives helped me through that nicely.”
Mario, Detroit, MI
“Great work! Very friendly and capable customer service”
Kevin, Harrison Township, Michigan
"Turnkey insurance coverage."
The agent was very helpful and timely to get back to me.
We offer Michigan small business insurance across the state. Our products have been approved by the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation and are underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Inc., a Chicago, Illinois, insurance company.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverage is subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.
Administered by Hiscox Inc., a Delaware corporation that is a licensed insurance producer in all states and Washington, D.C. 5 Concourse Parkway, 21st Floor, Atlanta, GA 30328.