Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs Home Health Care Insurance?
Registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other medical professions who treat patients and provide services at a patient’s home need professional and general liability insurance. Several issues can occur when working in a patient’s home that would warrant the need for liability insurance. Protect yourself while helping patients.
Related professionals we also insure
Policies available for home health care professionals
For the majority of home health care professionals, there are two main types of insurance policies worth considering, each of which provides unique aspects of protection to assist you in running your business smoothly.
General Liability Insurance for Home Health Care Professionals
In addition to times when home health care professionals can benefit from having professional liability insurance, there are some scenarios that are not typically covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also called Commercial General Liability (CGL)—covers professionals against property damage, claims of bodily injury and any associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: An elderly patient falls and breaks her hip while you are at her home. Her family alleges that you did not keep her apartment clear of obstructions and claims that you are at fault for her injuries. We could cover the patient’s claim and medical expenses up to your limits of liability.
- Property damage: While you are in a client’s home, you knock over and break an expensive antique vase. We may cover the cost to replace the vase, up to the limits of your liability.
- Personal injury: While at lunch an employee is talking to the owner of the shop about one of their clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We will cover the subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Professional Liability Insurance for Home Health Care Professionals
Professional liability insurance—sometimes called E&O Insurance—offers numerous potential benefits, including coverage for negligence, defense costs, bodily injury, personal injury (libel and slander) and property damage. While events such as fraudulent acts are not usually covered by a home health care professional liability insurance policy, this form of insurance is important for anyone who regularly provides professional services or advises clients.
- Negligence: The family of a patient sues you when the client is hospitalized with an infection. They claim that you failed to change the dressings from a recent surgery, which led to the infection. We may cover your defense costs as well as any settlement or judgment, up to your limits of liability.
- Loss of personal information: By mistake, a you misplace a file with sensitive client information. It was an accident of course, and the information is compromised. If the client files a claim, we could cover claims subject to the limit of insurance.
Should a patient react negatively to treatment, accuse you of breaching confidentiality agreements, or otherwise feel they have been damaged in some way by the services you provide as a professional, there's always a risk that you could be sued. You can work to protect yourself by getting professional liability insurance for home health care professionals, which is an important tool for providing peace of mind.
Though your property won't typically be covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to third-party property could be.
Why do Home Health Care Professionals choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into being a Home Health Care Professional, and we can help protect your business with a liability insurance policy customized to the unique needs of your business.
Here are five reasons why Home Health Care Professionals choose Hiscox above other providers for liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We understand that managing your cash flow can be a challenge, so we offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in over 170 different industries, allowing us to offer small business owners, like you, insurance plans that are customized to the unique needs of your business and risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you—even if the claim has no basis, appoint an attorney, if necessary.
- Coverage for contracts: Our custom liability insurance policies, including those for Home Health Care Professionals, satisfy most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We offer all Home Health Care Professionals coverage for any work done by you/ your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U,S, Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: All our agents are knowledgeable about the unique risks your Home Health Care Business faces and are here to address any concerns and/or answer any questions you may have. When surveying small business owners, like you, 4.7/5 recommend us for their insurance needs.
Ready to start protecting your Home Health Care business? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 855-974-6363 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 9am-5:30pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Barbara, San Diego, California
Fast response, pleasant customer service and overall great experience!
Jay, Los Angeles, California
Great price and service.
Service Rating "My service feedback with Hiscox"
Was quick and easy
"Quick and efficient professional service. Very professional! Explained coverage available and tailored it to my needs expeditiously."
Miriam, Seattle, WA
"Everything was explained to my satisfaction. Very easy, informative. Clear explanations made the decision fast and easy to make. "
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.