Insurance for Social Workers
Speak with a licensed insurance agent: 1-866-283-7545
Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET M–F, 7a –10p ET
Who needs social worker insurance?
As a social worker, you are devoted to providing the best care possible for your clients and patients. At Hiscox, we understand the risks implicit in the social services industry and are committed to providing the business protection you need to succeed.
If you work across disciplines, you might also be interested in learning more about additional coverage plans we offer to therapy professionals.
Example professions we insure
Policies available for social workers
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for social work businesses like yours.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Here are a few real-world examples relevant to your industry:
- Negligence: A social worker is working with a new family client. The father is short tempered, the mother is shy and retiring, and the teenage daughter is volatile and rebellious. When the daughter runs away from home, the father blames the social worker. He demands a refund and sues the social worker for damages. Professional liability insurance could protect the social worker if such a claim is made.
- Sexual misconduct: A female social worker is treating a young adolescent male client. Realizing the client is developing a crush on her, she advises him to seek treatment with a different professional. He reacts angrily and files suit against the social worker, alleging that she behaved inappropriately toward him. Professional liability insurance protects social workers against claims of sexual misconduct and negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend them if needed.
Protect your business from claims of damages, unsatisfied clients, and even sexual misconduct with professional liability insurance.
Hiscox is here to help you and other social work professionals find the best insurance possible. Learn more about professional liability insurance on our website, or contact us with any questions or concerns.
General Liability Insurance
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property.
Here are a few examples to illustrate why general liability insurance for social workers is essential:
- Personal injury: A social worker rents an office in a medical professional building. A family with two small children attends a therapy session at the social worker’s office. The children fall and injure themselves while playing on the office furniture. Both children require medical attention. The family sues the social worker for pain and suffering and medical costs. General liability insurance could protect social workers against third-party claims for personal injury.
- Bodily injury: A client sits too far back in an office chair and loses her balance. She falls to the tile floor and injures herself. General liability insurance may protect against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Slander: A client overhears their social worker making disparaging and untrue remarks about another client. He learns of the conversation and decides to sue the social worker for slander. General liability insurance could protect against third-party claims of slander, property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
Still have questions? We’re here to answer each and every one of them. Learn more about general liability insurance costs to decide which coverage is best for your business.
Why social workers choose Hiscox
Here are the top reasons why social workers like you choose Hiscox:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with an experienced Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET. We look forward to serving you.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.