Insurance for psychologists
Who needs psychologist insurance?
Licensed, practicing psychologists who offer services for patients experiencing general anxiety disorders, seasonal depression and other mental disorders should consider seeking professional and/ or general liability insurance. Obtaining liability insurance is an effective way to mitigate risk while providing beneficial mental health services to the community—especially for therapists working in private practices.
Example professions we also insure
Insurance Policies available for psychologists
Professional Liability Insurance for psychologists
Professional liability insurance—sometimes referred to as E&O Insurance—offers a number of potential benefits to practitioners, including coverage against alleged or actual negligence, bodily injury, defense costs, personal injury (i.e., libel and slander), claims arising from past-rendered services and more. While fraudulent acts and property damage are not covered by professional liability, this form of insurance is essential for anyone who provides a professional service or regularly advises clients, such as psychologists.
- Sexual misconduct: A client has been seeing you as their psychologist for years and starts speaking and acting as if the relationship is more than just therapy. Then, you recognize that this is happening and ask that the patient find a different therapist. The client sues for abandonment and claims that you initiated the inappropriate relationship. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t done anything wrong.
- Negligence: Your services were requested by a quarreling family. The father is short-tempered and abusive, and the teenage daughter is volatile and rebellious. You are working on their communication issues. After several sessions with you, the daughter runs away from home and the father says that you are to blame. He wants his money back and he is also suing for damages. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
Should a client react negatively to treatment, accuse you of breaching confidentiality agreements or otherwise feel that they've been damaged in some way by your services, the risk of being sued is present. The solution can be found in professional liability insurance—a crucial tool for providing peace of mind and stability for licensed psychologists.
General Liability Insurance for psychologists
In addition to the many instances in which psychologists can benefit from having professional liability insurance, there are a number of scenarios that aren't covered under this type of policy. General liability, also commonly referred to as commercial general liability (CGL), covers your business against claims of bodily injury, any associated medical costs and property damage.
- Bodily injury: A client sits back in an office chair too far and loses her balance. She falls to the tile floor causing herself an injury. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Personal injury: One of your employees is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about one of your clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We will cover the subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability, and pay for an attorney to defend you if necessary.
- Property damage: While you are in a client’s home, you trip and tear an expensive painting. We may cover the cost to replace the painting, up to the limits of your liability.
Though your own property is not covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to a third-party property—including via actions taken by your staff—will be covered. Learn more about general liability insurance costs for your business.
Why do psychologists choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand how much work goes into running a small business. Whether you run a private practice or work as a psychologist in a different capacity, we can help your business grow by drastically reducing risk and allowing you to focus on what truly matters: providing beneficial mental health services to clients in need.
Here are six reasons why small businesses choose Hiscox above other providers for professional liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Ready to learn more about how Hiscox insurance can help mitigate risk with psychologist insurance coverage? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your psychology business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.