Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for psychologists?
If you are a licensed Psychologist, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Your best solution is to protect yourself with liability insurance.
The exact coverage that is best for you depends on the details of your business. Many Hiscox customers seek to optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. To assure that you get the best coverage for your psychology business, see the examples below.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Sexual misconduct: A client has been seeing you as their psychologist for years and starts speaking and acting as if the relationship was more than just therapy. Then you recognize that this is happening and ask that the patient find a different therapist. The client sues for abandonment and claims that you initiated the inappropriate relationship. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t done anything wrong.
- Negligence: Your services as a psychologist were requested by a family that can’t get along. The father is short tempered and abusive, and the teenage daughter is volatile and rebellious. The you are working to make them talk more to each other, but progress is slow. Finally, the daughter runs away from home and the husband says that you are to blame. He wants his money back and he is also suing for damages. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Bodily injury: A client sits back in an office chair too far and loses her balance. He falls to the tile floor causing himself injury. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Personal injury: One of your employees is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about one of your clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We will cover the subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability, and pay for an attorney to defend you if necessary.
- Property damage: While you are in a client’s home, you trip and tear an expensive painting. We may cover the cost to replace the painting, up to the limits of your liability.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why do psychologists choose Hiscox?
- Buy Direct: Get the right insurance immediately. Hiscox offers business insurance coverage that can be bought directly and online in real time.
- Competitive Rates: Our small business insurance quotes start from $22.50 per month in most states.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Customized Coverage: We tailor our professional insurance to the risk you’ll face in your industry.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.7/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
John, Orlando FL
Service Rating "Great tailored policy"
It was a very simple process and big relief to get a policy. I am glad I found a company that allows me to tailor insurance for my business. They took the time to explain my vulnerabilities and how the policy can help professionally cover both me and my company.
Sangha Yoga General Partnership, New Jersey
"The site was easy and comprehensive. The site was easy and comprehensive. I'd spent days searching for insurance policies I could understand, and Hiscox was my answer."
Joseph, Indianapolis, Indiana
"E & O Insurance"
Great customer service
Michael, Bainbridge Island, WA
"So easy! Loved how quick and easy it was to get a quote and a policy instated for both professional and general liability - no multiple page forms to complete!”
Matthew, Austin, TX
"Great phone help"
My experience with the phone operator was excellent; she educated me and coached me through the process of getting liability insurance for my business.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.