Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs occupational therapist insurance?
Occupational therapists who offer services to injured, ill or disabled patients via therapeutic use of everyday activities should consider seeking professional and general liability insurance. Other issues can emerge from working with customers who don't comprehend or agree with specific approaches, as well as security and confidentiality issues. Getting professional liability insurance is an excellent way to reduce risk while contributing to patient wellness—particularly for therapists who work in private practices.
Example professions we also insure
Policies available for occupational therapists
Professional Liability Insurance for occupational therapists
Professional liability insurance—sometimes referred to as E&O Insurance—offers a number of possible benefits to occupational therapists, including coverage for negligence, bodily injury, defense costs, personal injury (i.e., libel and slander), claims arising from past-rendered services and more. While fraudulent acts and property damage aren't usually covered by professional liability, this form of liability insurance is crucial for those who either provide a professional service or regularly advise clients.
- Negligence: A doctor recommends the services of an occupational therapist to an elderly stroke victim. The therapist sets up a plan to work with the patient to gain her mobility around her apartment, using her wheelchair. During the course of occupational therapy, when the patient is alone, she falls out of her wheelchair and has to be hospitalized. The patient believes that the accident was the fault of the occupational therapist for not providing adequate training. Professional liability insurance could protect the therapist against claims of negligence.
- Sexual misconduct: A long time client of an occupational therapist starts to speak and act as if there is a romantic relationship. The occupational therapist recognizes this is happening and asks the patient to find a new therapist. The client sues for abandonment and claims the therapist initiated the inappropriate relationship. Professional liability insurance could protect the occupational therapist against claims of negligence.
If a client reacts negatively to treatment, accuses you of breaching confidentiality agreements, or otherwise feels that they've been damaged in some way by your services, the risk of being sued can be quite high. Professional liability can come in many forms, including sexual misconduct, among others. The solution is to get professional liability insurance, a crucial tool for providing stability for all small businesses.
General Liability Insurance for occupational therapists
In addition to instances when occupational therapists can benefit from having professional liability insurance, there are numerous scenarios that are not covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also referred to as commercial general liability (CGL)—covers your business against claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and property damage.
- Bodily injury: A client is receiving occupational therapy at her therapist’s office. She is being treated for memory loss and is engaging in a series of memory exercises. When she stood up, she tripped over an area rug and injured herself. General liability insurance could protect the occupational therapist against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Property damage: While in a client’s home, an occupational therapist knocks over and breaks an expensive sculpture. Hiscox may cover the cost to replace the sculpture, up to the policy's limits of liability.
- Personal injury: An occupational therapist is talking to a friend at lunch about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. Hiscox may cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Though your own property is not covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to a third-party property—including via actions taken by your staff—will be covered.
Why do occupational therapists choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we know how much work goes into running a small business. Whether you run a private practice or are working in a group, for example, we can help your business grow by reducing risk with our professional liability insurance policies, allowing you to focus on the work that truly matters.
Here are five reasons why therapists choose Hiscox as opposed to other providers for professional liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you—even if the claim has no basis—and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Coverage for contracts: Our therapy liability insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Ready to learn more about how Hiscox insurance can help mitigate risk with occupational therapist insurance coverage? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your occupational therapy business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Benda, Bartlett, IL
“Easy – Fast – Fantastic Coverage – and a Good Buy”
The representative that worked with me made it very simple. It was fast and efficient and I got my coverage in just a few minutes. I could not be more pleased.
Jeremy, Rochester, NY
“I’ll be using you again, and will recommend you to others.”
The Hiscox website was easy to navigate, easy to understand and sublimely straight forward in guiding the user to the right choices.
Bradley, Tucson, AZ
The agent that I spoke to was very helpful, It was a great experience. Also a real good price, thank you.
Daniel, Kingsport, TN
“quick and easy just what you want”
Very good much simpler than others I had talked with about coverage
Gary, Oneonta, New York
“Hiscox is the best in the business!”
Excellent information and care shown by staff!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.