Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for occupational therapists?
If you are a licensed occupational therapist, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Hiscox customizes your occupational therapist insurance to fit the specific risks you face. To make it more convenient for you, we can put together a tailored package to protect both you and your business.
The exact coverage that is best for you depends on the details of your business. Many Hiscox customers seek to optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. To assure that you get the best coverage for your business, see the examples below.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Negligence: A doctor recommends the services of an occupational therapist to an elderly stroke victim. The therapist sets up a schedule to work with the patient to gain her mobility and over around her apartment using her wheelchair. During the course of occupational therapy, when the patient is alone, she falls out of her wheelchair and has to be hospitalized. The patient believes that the accident was the fault of the occupational therapist for not providing adequate training. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven't done anything wrong.
- Sexual misconduct: A client has been seeing an occupational therapist for years and starts speaking and acting as if the relationship was more than just therapy. The occupational therapist recognizes that this is happening and asks that the patient find a different therapist. The client sues for abandonment and claims the therapist initiated the inappropriate relationship. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t done anything wrong.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Bodily injury: An occupational therapy client is receiving treatment at the office of her therapist. She is being treated for memory loss and is engaging in a series of memory exercises. When she gets up to visit the ladies room she trips over an area rug and injures herself. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury and related medical costs.
- Property damage: While in a client’s home, their occupational therapist knocks over and breaks an expensive sculpture. We may cover the cost to replace the sculpture, up to the policy's limits of liability.
- Personal injury: An occupational therapist is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about one of your clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why occupational therapists choose Hiscox:
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Customized Coverage: We tailor our professional insurance to the risk you’ll face in your industry.
- Competitive Rates: Our small business insurance quotes start from $22.50 per month in most states.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your occupational therapy business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Benda, Bartlett, IL
“Easy – Fast – Fantastic Coverage – and a Good Buy”
The representative that worked with me made it very simple. It was fast and efficient and I got my coverage in just a few minutes. I could not be more pleased.
Jeremy, Rochester, NY
“I’ll be using you again, and will recommend you to others.”
The Hiscox website was easy to navigate, easy to understand and sublimely straight forward in guiding the user to the right choices.
Bradley, Tucson, AZ
The agent that I spoke to was very helpful, It was a great experience. Also a real good price, thank you.
Daniel, Kingsport, TN
“quick and easy just what you want”
Very good much simpler than others I had talked with about coverage
Gary, Oneonta, New York
“Hiscox is the best in the business!”
Excellent information and care shown by staff!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.