Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for hypnotherapists?
If you are a certified hypnotherapist, you can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Your best solution is to protect yourself with liability insurance.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: You are treating a patient for extreme anxiety. The patient is a highly skilled programmer, but finds it difficult to keep composed in the workplace. After working with you for several months the patient reported feeling more confident. But despite the therapy the patient became extremely emotionally upset and could not appear at his job interview. The patient claims that you are at fault and makes a claim. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Negligence: You are treating a patient for an eating disorder. While under hypnosis, you ask the patient to recall childhood memories, which, unbeknownst to you, include memories of abuse. The patient becomes severely depressed and requires hospitalization, and the family makes a claim against you for the associated costs. A professional liability insurance policy could protect you, including the cost to defend yourself.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Bodily injury: You rent an office in a local professional building. The building keeps the floor highly polished and, as a result, a patient who was seeing you for weight loss advice trips and injures himself inside your office. The patient sues you for pain and suffering and medical costs. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for personal injury.
- Damage to your landlord’s property: As a hypnotherapist, you rent a small office. You have lit candles in the treatment room and one of them is knocked over and catches fire. The landlord sues you for fire damage to that space as well as water damage to the adjacent spaces because the sprinklers turned on. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for property damage, to the extent you are liable up to your policy limits.
- Lost wages: A client is on her way to her car in the parking lot of your building and trips on the front steps injuring herself. Her injury requires her to miss work for an extended period of time. Her medical costs and lost wages may be covered by your general liability policy, up to policy limits.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why hypnotherapists choose Hiscox:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making quarterly payments (with no fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored Insurance: Insurance custom tailored to meet your needs and save you money.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, or a US territory.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
William, Richlands, VA
“Simple, affordable, and covered”
Super easy to apply and extremely affordable rates. Any small business owner would be foolish not to have a policy.
Malcolm, San Diego, CA
The process was quick and painless. I spoke with a company rep who was very helpful, answered my questions, and didn't pressure me to make a sale. He referred me back to the online application process, and everything went through with no problems.
Marilyn, Indianapolis, IN
“They were very professional and nice.”
They were very professional and they got me what I needed in a policy. Very nice people.
Carolina, Palm Bay, FL
“Confident, I’m pleased”
Yes, they were clear and I feel that they know what they are doing, great job, thanks so much for prompt service
The website was easy to use. I liked the ease of viewing pricing information for the various products.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.