Who needs hypnotherapist insurance?
Hypnotherapists who help people use their subconscious mind to change negative behavioral patterns by inducing trance-like states should consider seeking professional and general liability insurance. Problems can arise when working with clients who either don't fully understand or feel comfortable with specific methods of handling personal data, such as patient confidentiality and privacy issues. One way to protect your business, while providing beneficial services to the community, is to obtain liability insurance, from Hiscox —especially if you're working in a private practice.
Related professionals we also insure
Policies available for hypnotherapists
For most hypnotherapists, there are two important types of policies to pay attention to, both of which offer unique aspects of protection to help you run your business without interruption.
Professional Liability Insurance for hypnotherapists
Professional liability insurance—also known as E&O Insurance—provides a number of benefits to hypnotherapists, such as coverage against both alleged and actual negligence, defense costs, personal injury and claims arising from past-rendered services. Fraudulent acts and property damage are not covered by professional liability insurance. This form of hypnotherapy insurance is, however, crucial for anyone who provides professional services or advice to clients.
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: You are treating a patient for extreme anxiety. The patient is a highly skilled programmer but finds it difficult to keep composed in the workplace. After working with you for several months the patient reported feeling more confident. But despite the therapy, the patient became extremely emotionally upset and could not appear at his job interview. The patient claims that you are at fault and makes a claim. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Negligence: You are treating a patient for an eating disorder. While under hypnosis, you ask the patient to recall childhood memories, which, unbeknownst to you, include memories of abuse. The patient becomes severely depressed and requires hospitalization, and the family makes a claim against you for the associated costs. A professional liability insurance policy could protect you, including the cost to defend yourself.
If a client reacts negatively to treatment, accuses you of breaching a confidentiality agreement, or otherwise feels as if they've been damaged in some way by your services as a hypnotherapist, the risk of being sued should not be taken lightly. The solution is often to obtain a professional liability insurance policy customized to your Hypnotherapy business.
General Liability Insurance for hypnotherapists
While therapists can certainly benefit from getting professional liability insurance, there are numerous scenarios that aren't covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also known as a commercial general liability (CGL)—covers your business against any claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and even property damage.
- Bodily injury: You rent an office in a local professional building. The building keeps the floor highly polished and, as a result, a patient who was seeing you for weight loss advice trips and injures himself inside your office. The patient sues you for pain and suffering and medical costs. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for personal injury.
- Damage to your landlord’s property: As a hypnotherapist, you rent a small office. You have lit candles in the treatment room and one of them is knocked over and catches fire. The landlord sues you for fire damage to that space as well as water damage to the adjacent spaces because the sprinklers turned on. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for property damage, to the extent you are liable up to your policy limits.
- Lost wages: A client is on her way to her car in the parking lot of your building and trips on the front steps injuring herself. Her injury requires her to miss work for an extended period of time. Her medical costs and lost wages may be covered by your general liability policy, up to policy limits.
While your own property is not usually covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to a third-party property—including via actions taken by your staff—typically will be. Learn more about general liability insurance costs to make a smart decision for your business.
Why do hypnotherapists choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into running a successful practice. Perhaps you're working in a private practice, or perhaps you're offering services in a different capacity. Regardless, we can help you protect your business by obtaining a hypnotherapist insurance policy from Hiscox.
Here are six reasons why Hypnotherapists choose Hiscox above other providers for professional liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Want to learn more about how Hiscox can help protect your Hypnotherapy business? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your hypnotherapy business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
William, Richlands, VA
“Simple, affordable, and covered”
Super easy to apply and extremely affordable rates. Any small business owner would be foolish not to have a policy.
Malcolm, San Diego, CA
The process was quick and painless. I spoke with a company rep who was very helpful, answered my questions, and didn't pressure me to make a sale. He referred me back to the online application process, and everything went through with no problems.
Marilyn, Indianapolis, IN
“They were very professional and nice.”
They were very professional and they got me what I needed in a policy. Very nice people.
Carolina, Palm Bay, FL
“Confident, I’m pleased”
Yes, they were clear and I feel that they know what they are doing, great job, thanks so much for prompt service
The website was easy to use. I liked the ease of viewing pricing information for the various products.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.