Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for therapists?
As a therapist you offer a specialized service to help improve your client’s mental health, quality of life and happiness. Every work day for you is different – different from the last, and different from the days of other therapists. We understand this “differentness” and this is why the therapist insurance offered by Hiscox is customized to your specific needs. We cover a range of professions, including, but not limited to, Speech Therapists, as well as:
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Injured child: As a licensed counselor you are working with the child of a foster family. You underestimate a possibly abusive situation, and you fail to report the family to the department of child and family services. The child is injured so badly that he needs to be hospitalized, and the state sues you on the child’s behalf for failure to report the abuse. Professional liability insurance may protect you if such a claim is made.
- Emotional couple: A couple has been seeing you as a marriage therapist for months seeking counseling to rectify problems in their marriage. During a recent meeting the couple tells you that the counseling sessions are not doing any good, and they are headed for divorce. They blame you and say that you should have seen the signs of divorce earlier and the couple threatens to sue you for professional negligence. Professional liability insurance may protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t made a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Damage to your landlord’s property: As a therapist, you rent a small office. You have lit candles in the treatment room and one of them is knocked over and catches fire. The landlord sues you for fire damage to that space as well as water damage to the adjacent spaces because the sprinklers turned on. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for property damage, to the extent you are liable up to your policy limits.
- Bodily injury: A client is on her way to her car in the parking lot of your building and trips on the front steps injuring herself. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury, to the extent you are liable, and related medical costs.
- Personal Injury: A marriage counselor meets her friend for coffee at a local cafe, she begins speaking about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this conversation and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim up to the limit of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why therapists choose Hiscox:
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Customized Coverage: We tailor our professional insurance to the risk you’ll face in your industry.
- Competitive Rates: Our small business insurance quotes start from $22.50 per month in most states.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
"My service feedback with Hiscox"
Fast, easy to understand and affordable
"E & O Insurance Purchase"
I had an excellent experience. It took very little to complete the application and received a quote in a very short period of time. Best of all the cost was less than my previous group insurance and the coverage was double the group insurance.
Michael, Mount Juliet, Tennessee
"Services acquiring insurance was very easy"
Everything was explained pretty good over the phone and all paperwork came over email the next day. Dolly was very helpful and return phone calls very quickly.
Joel, Phoenix, AZ
"Agentless service was great. Buying business insurance through agents was a huge time waste and runaround. I liked the Hiscox web approach and straight forward quoting system."
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.