Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs Therapist Insurance?
Being a therapist, you and your business face certain risks, which is why therapists insurance coverage is so important. Your patients could file a claim against you and your therapy business for failing to report an instance of abuse, for example. Or perhaps dissatisfied clients could sue you when they don’t see the emotional progress they want, or for a simple slip-and-fall accident that occurs while walking into your office.
These unique situations show that the therapy insurance offered by Hiscox is customized to your specific needs. You care about your patients and want nothing but the very best for them. However, the therapy industry can be seen as subjective, and highly-charged emotions can get in the way of sound reasoning and logic. Fortunately, you can protect yourself and your therapy business with therapy liability insurance from Hiscox.
We cover a range of therapy professions, including, but not limited to the following.
Example professions we insure
Insurance policies available for Therapists:
One very useful type of insurance therapists need is professional liability insurance that provides protection from issues that commonly come up in this industry. Professional liability insurance--sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance)-- is insurance coverage for claims against professionals and their businesses that provide professional and personal services, such as a therapy business like yours.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Here are some real-world examples that could occur in a therapist’s professional life. Based upon your experience in the industry, do any of these situations sound familiar or plausible to you?
- Alleged negligence: A couple has been seeing you as a marriage therapist for months, seeking counseling to rectify problems in their marriage. During a recent meeting the couple tells you that the counseling sessions are not doing any good, and they are headed for divorce. They blame you and say that you should have seen the signs of divorce earlier and threaten to sue you for professional negligence. Professional liability insurance may protect you against claims of negligence, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
- Loss of personal information: By mistake, the receptionist in your office misplaces a file with sensitive patient information. While it was an accident, what's done is done, and the client's information has been compromised. If your client sues your business, the claim may be covered subject to the limit of insurance.
Patients and clients may have certain expectations of you and your services that aren’t met. In addition, differences in opinions and judgment can prompt patients to take legal action, even if you’ve done nothing wrong. Therapy is a challenging industry to be in, but a very rewarding one if you’re able to help your patients overcome obstacles and find health and happiness. We, too, care about your patients because we care about helping you and your business succeed.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
A second type of useful liability insurance for therapists is general liability insurance. General liability insurance - sometimes called commercial general liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, personal injury and damage to property.
Having therapy liability insurance coverage is beneficial in several instances. Here are a few industry-specific examples to demonstrate what we mean:
- Damage to your landlord’s property: As a therapist, you rent a small office. You have lit candles in the treatment room, and one of them is knocked over and catches fire. The landlord sues you for fire damage to that space, as well as water damage to the adjacent space after the sprinklers were activated. General liability insurance may protect you against third-party claims for property damage, to the extent you are liable, up to your policy limits.
- Bodily injury: A client is walking in for an appointment and trips on a chair in your waiting room. She breaks her arm and has to be taken to the hospital for treatment. General liability insurance could protect you against third-party claims for bodily injury, to the extent you are liable, and related medical costs.
- Personal injury: A marriage counselor meets her friend for coffee at a local cafe. She begins speaking about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this conversation and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim up to the limit of liability, and pay for an attorney, if necessary.
Situations like the above are very unfortunate, but they do happen. Take charge of your therapy business and the risks surrounding it with a Hiscox insurance plan.
Learn more about general liability insurance to make a smart and forward-thinking decision for your therapy business.
Why do Therapists choose Hiscox?
There are many reasons why therapists choose Hiscox for their therapy liability insurance needs. Here are the top reasons cited by therapists, just like you:
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your therapy business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.7/5 of people surveyed recommended us. We know you’re passionate about helping people, and we’re passionate about helping small businesses reach their potential.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best. You’re already confident in the work you do, and we can make you even more confident with your clients and patients.
- Customized coverage: We tailor our professional insurance to the risk you’ll face in the therapy industry. We understand what it takes to insure therapists, so don’t settle for any less or a generic policy that doesn’t take your specific needs into account.
- Competitive rates: Our small business insurance premiums start from $22.50 per month in most states. With competitive rates like these, you can’t afford not to have a Hiscox therapy insurance policy for the ultimate protection.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your therapy business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET. We look forward to helping you do your job better and with greater confidence by providing insurance therapy services when and where you need them.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
"My service feedback with Hiscox"
Fast, easy to understand and affordable
"E & O Insurance Purchase"
I had an excellent experience. It took very little to complete the application and received a quote in a very short period of time. Best of all the cost was less than my previous group insurance and the coverage was double the group insurance.
Michael, Mount Juliet, Tennessee
"Services acquiring insurance was very easy"
Everything was explained pretty good over the phone and all paperwork came over email the next day. Dolly was very helpful and return phone calls very quickly.
Joel, Phoenix, AZ
"Agentless service was great. Buying business insurance through agents was a huge time waste and runaround. I liked the Hiscox web approach and straight forward quoting system."
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.