Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
Who needs health professionals insurance?
Health professionals who provide services across a wide range of healthcare branches should consider obtaining professional and general liability insurance. Issues can arise when working with clients who do not understand or connect with certain methodologies, such as patient confidentiality and privacy issues. Obtaining insurance is a great way to protect yourself while continuing to provide beneficial healthcare services to patients in need—especially for health professionals who work in private practice.
Example health professions we insure
Policies available for health professionals
For the majority of health professionals, there are two types of insurance policies that are worth considering, each offering their own, unique aspects of protection to help you run your business smoothly.
Professional liability insurance—often referred to as E&O Insurance—offers numerous potential benefits to health professionals, such as coverage for negligence, defense costs, personal injury (libel and slander) and claims against past-rendered services. Events such as fraudulent acts, bodily injury and property damage are not covered by professional liability insurance; however, this form of insurance is essential for anyone who regularly provides professional services or advises clients, including most health professionals.
- Client injury: A massage therapist performs a deep tissue massage on a client who mentioned some shoulder pain before the massage but assured the therapist it was nothing. While performing a shoulder stretch during the massage, the patient winces and asks the therapist to stop. A day later the client accuses the therapist of causing a torn ligament in his shoulder, which will require costly surgery to fix. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Faulty advice: A nutritionist is advising a patient on a weight loss program, but after a few months of treatment the patient is diagnosed as pre-diabetic. The patient blames the nutritionist and sues. Professional liability insurance (errors and omissions) insurance could protect you in such a situation.
Should clients react negatively to treatment, accuse you of breaching a confidentiality agreement, or otherwise feel that they have been damaged in some way by your services, the risk of being sued most certainly exists. You can protect yourself by getting professional liability insurance—an important tool for providing peace of mind.
In addition to times when health professionals can benefit from having professional liability insurance, there are many scenarios that are not typically covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also referred to as Commercial General Liability (CGL)—covers business owners against claims of bodily injury, property damage and any associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: After a lengthy massage a client leans on the massage table’s headrest to steady herself as she was getting up. Not designed to support a person’s full weight, the headrest snaps off. The client injures her arm trying to prevent a fall and sues the massage therapist for damages. Hiscox may cover the subsequent claim and related medical expenses, up to your general liability policy's limits of liability.
- Property damage: A patient arrives at an audiology office for a diagnostic test. The receptionist at the office trips over the patient's laptop bag, breaking the laptop. Even though this was an accident, the patient blames the receptionist and makes a claim. General liability insurance could protect against claims of bodily injury and property damage.
- Personal injury: While out with some friends, a dietician begins talking about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this conversation and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim up to the limit of liability and pay for an attorney if necessary.
General liability also usually covers electronic data liability—an important thing to consider as digital medical records continue to become the norm. Though your property will not usually be covered under general liability insurance, damage sustained to third-party property typically is.
Why do health professionals choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into being a Health Professional, and we can help protect your business with a liability insurance policy customized to the unique needs of your business.
Here are five reasons why Health Professionals, like you, choose Hiscox above other providers for liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We understand that managing your cash flow can be a challenge. Hiscox offers you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in over 170 different industries, allowing us to offer small business owners, like you, insurance plans that are customized to the unique needs of your business and risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you—even if the claim has no basis, appoint an attorney, if necessary.
- Coverage for contracts: Our custom liability insurance policies, including those for Health Professionals, satisfy most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We offer all Health Professionals coverage for any work done by you/ your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: All our agents are knowledgeable about the unique risks Health Professionals face and are here to address any concerns and/or answer any questions you may have. When surveying industry professionals and small business owners, like you, 4.7/5 recommend us for all their insurance needs.
Ready to start protecting your Health Business? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Lisa, Colorado springs
' Good price easy process '
Very easy to choose what you need without over paying.
' Simple & straightforward process '
Setting up a new business has been challenging & Hiscox made this step of the process very simple & straightforward. I wanted to bundle my small business insurance w/the company that I have my homeowner's insurance with, but they simply did not understand the need for Professional Liability (E&O).
Judie, San Diego
' Easy and straight forward. '
Easy and straight forward. Competitive price. Sales person was friendly and had good follow up.
Allen, Wildomar, CA
' Great service, at a great price! '
The agent was very helpful and answered all my questions. The price was great.
Katherine in Blue Springs, MO
' Fantastic Customer Service '
Fantastic Customer Service! Quickly reviewed and assessed my needs saving me money and time. Loved getting my documents right away!
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.