Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for hairdressers?
Hairdressers and hair stylists, even licensed ones can be sued – even if you have done nothing wrong. Anything from a bad haircut or dye job, to actual physical damage to the client leaves you vulnerable to a liability lawsuit. Your best solution is to protect yourself with hairdresser insurance.
The hairdresser insurance coverage that is best for you depends on the details of your business. Many Hiscox customers optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. To assure that you get the best coverage for your business, see the examples below.
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Lost wages: A hairdresser is coloring a client’s hair and leaves the treatment on for too long, which results in scalp burns and damage to the hair itself. The client sues for emotional distress, bodily injury and loss of wages because she was unable to work for several weeks. Professional liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Loss of personal information: By mistake, a hairdresser's assistant misplaces a file with sensitive client information. It was an accident of course, and the information is compromised. If the client files suit, we could cover claims subject to your limit of insurance.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Personal injury: A hairdresser made disparaging and untrue remarks about one of their clients to a friend. The client turned out to be a coworker of the friend and the conversation got back to the client, who sued the hairdresser for slander. General liability insurance could protect estheticians against third-party claims of slander, property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: A hairdresser welcomes a client for her regularly schedule hair coloring. While her hair is being shampooed at the start of the appointment the client’s chair slips and she hits her head on the porcelain sink. The client temporarily loses consciousness and has to be taken to the emergency room. General liability insurance could protect against claims by other people for personal injury and property damage.
- Property damage: A client brings in their laptop and an employee accidentally trips over it and breaks it. A general liability policy could cover the subsequent claim, up to your policy's limits of liability.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why hairdressers choose Hiscox:
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Denine, Scotts Valley, California
prompt courteous service. got exactly what I needed. great price!
Brian, Irving, Texas
"Excellent Customer Service"
The agent I spoke with was extremely courteous and professional. He listened carefully to our needs, asked the right questions, and quickly developed a policy suited to our requirements without trying to sell unnecessary options.
"Good folks, good company"
I have used Hiscox in the past, and the agents have been very helpful and courteous. The policy premium is reasonable and the whole process is very quick.
Jerry, Bakersfield, CA
"Very easy and convenient service. Excellent and rapid response. Clear answers to questions. Very reasonable prices."
Tom, Peoria, AZ
“Excellent. The person who helped me was nice and professional.”
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.