Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for hairdressers?
Hairdressers and hair stylists, even licensed ones, can be sued in the normal course of business– even if you have done nothing wrong. Anything from a bad haircut or dye job, to causing physical injury to the client leaves you vulnerable to a liability lawsuit. If you work in this industry and run a small business, your best solution is to protect yourself with hairdresser insurance.
If your business covers additional beauty and grooming services, you may find the below services useful as well.
Example professions we insure
Insurance policies available for Hairdressers
Many Hiscox customers optimize their coverage by choosing both professional liability and general liability policies. Professional liability insurance for hairdressers can protect you from claims due to a client lawsuit and loss of personal information. Meanwhile, general liability insurance can protect you from client claims of personal injury, bodily injury, and even property damage.
Professional liability insurance - sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), Is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services, such as for hairdressing businesses like yours.
When is it important to have professional liability insurance for hairdressers? There are many answers, but here are a couple common examples that industry professionals can relate to:
- Lost wages: A hairdresser is coloring a client’s hair and leaves the treatment on for too long, which results in scalp burns and damage to the hair itself. The client sues for emotional distress, bodily injury and loss of wages because she is unable to work for several weeks. Professional liability insurance may protect you if such a claim is made.
- Loss of personal information: By mistake, a hairdresser's assistant misplaces a file with sensitive client information. It is an accident of course, but the information is compromised nonetheless. If the client files suit, we can cover claims subject to your limit of insurance.
- Protection even if you haven't made a mistake: A client lies about your alleged malpractice, even though you did nothing wrong. Still, when she brings an action against you, you're still expected to hire a lawyer to defend yourself. In such a scenario, we would protect your business for covered claims and related attorney costs subject to the limit of your policy.
Even the most skilled and creative hairdressers can face claims and lawsuits because of how a client’s hair or skin reacts to a treatment. In addition, hairdresser insurance is also useful since you handle client data and personal information on a regular basis.
Learn more about professional liability insurance. We’re here to help answer any questions you may have about this type of hairdresser liability insurance, as well.
General liability insurance - sometimes called commercial general liability (CGL), protects your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, personal injury and damage to property. Oftentimes, claims and lawsuits are brought against hairdressers for reasons that have nothing to do with cutting hair or applying a specific beauty treatment. Injuries and damages can occur in any small business setting, and hair salons are certainly no exception.
Hairdressers who work in a wide variety of salons trust Hiscox with their hairdresser insurance needs every day. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances. Here are a few examples of what we mean:
- Personal injury: A hairdresser makes disparaging and untrue remarks about one of their clients to a friend. The client turns out to be a coworker of the friend and the conversation gets back to the client, who sues the hairdresser for slander. General liability insurance could protect the hairdresser against third-party claims of slander, property damage, bodily injury, and associated medical costs.
- Bodily injury: A hairdresser welcomes a client for her regularly scheduled hair coloring. While her hair is being shampooed, she makes a jerking movement upward and hits her head on the porcelain sink. The client temporarily loses consciousness and has to be taken to the emergency room. General liability insurance may protect against claims by other people for personal injury and property damage.
- Property damage: A client brings in their laptop, and an employee accidentally trips over it and breaks it. A general liability policy may cover the subsequent claim, up to your policy's limits of liability.
Accidents and slip-ups happen, but they don’t have to put your hairdressing business in jeopardy. A hairdresser insurance policy from Hiscox may help you in case of accidental trips, slips, and falls.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why do hairdressers choose Hiscox?
Hairdressers, like you, choose Hiscox for their hair salon liability insurance needs because of our:
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best. You’ll feel confident with every cut, color, style, and blow-dry when you know you’re protected by the best in the business.
- Passion for service: Knowledgeable agents provide exceptional service – 4.7/5 of people surveyed recommended us. We know you’re passionate about hair, and we have that same type of passion for helping small businesses succeed.
- Tailored coverage: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in the hairdressing field. Our hairdresser insurance offerings are specific to the potential situations that you face every time you invite a new client into your chair.
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage. We know you’re busy and want you to get back to doing the job you know and love as quickly as possible.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your hairdresser business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET. We would love to hear about your small business details and assist you with hairdresser insurance needs, so contact us today!
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Denine, Scotts Valley, California
prompt courteous service. got exactly what I needed. great price!
Brian, Irving, Texas
"Excellent Customer Service"
The agent I spoke with was extremely courteous and professional. He listened carefully to our needs, asked the right questions, and quickly developed a policy suited to our requirements without trying to sell unnecessary options.
"Good folks, good company"
I have used Hiscox in the past, and the agents have been very helpful and courteous. The policy premium is reasonable and the whole process is very quick.
Jerry, Bakersfield, CA
"Very easy and convenient service. Excellent and rapid response. Clear answers to questions. Very reasonable prices."
Tom, Peoria, AZ
“Excellent. The person who helped me was nice and professional.”
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.