Insurance for bookkeepers
What kind of insurance is best for bookkeepers?
As a bookkeeper you provide a critical function to other small businesses. At Hiscox we understand the unique risks you face, that's why we offer specialized bookkeepers insurance customized to fit your small business needs.
Do you need bookkeeper, tax preparer or accountant insurance?
The functions of a bookkeeper, a tax preparer and an accountant can overlap. When you’re looking for insurance for your business, you want to make sure you get the right insurance so you’re covered, but you don’t want to pay for anything you don’t need.
Insurance for tax preparers covers people who only prepare taxes in the course of their business. They may be personal income taxes or business taxes, but that’s all they do. Errors and omissions insurance for tax preparers (sometimes called professional liability insurance) can cover situations like this: You advised a client about the types of business deductions they could take. They took some deductions that were outside the scope of what you advised, and the IRS disallowed them and assessed a penalty. The client made a claim against you for the penalty, alleging that you were not clear in your recommendation.
Bookkeeper insurance covers businesses that provide income and expense tracking services and keep general ledgers for their clients. Bookkeeper liability insurance could cover a situation like this: A client for whom you do the books is applying for a business loan. They take the financial statements you have prepared for the bank, but they are turned down for the loan. The client insists that you understated their income and overstated their expenses, resulting in the bank denying their application.
If your business provides both tax preparation and bookkeeping services or provides other accounting services, consider an Accountant insurance policy. This will protect you from claims and lawsuits that could stem from the range of services you provide.
Why bookkeepers choose Hiscox:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, Hiscox will immediately assign a dedicated claims representative to assist you.
- Coverage for contracts: Our architects insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: A business insured through Hiscox is covered for work done anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is filed in the U.S., a U.S. Territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your bookkeeping business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday – Friday, 7am – 10pm ET.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.