4 Last Minute Small Business Saturday Marketing Ideas
November 23, 2015
Nothing celebrates the kickoff of the holiday season quite like Small Business Saturday! Though it started only a few years ago, American Express Small Business Saturday, is now a definitive tradition in which retailers nationwide celebrate the beauty of shopping small.
4 Last Minute Small Business Saturday Ideas What is your business doing to prepare for small business Saturday? Here are some last minute ways to prepare for the inevitable holiday rush.
1. Offer a Discount in Celebration of the Holiday With Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, Thanksgiving is the official start of the holiday season. One way to make sure that you’re able to take advantage of the high volume of sales traffic is to offer a discount or promotion. You can take a few different approaches here to maximize your savings while encouraging shoppers to spend their dollars with you.
- A) Buy One Get One – Also known as BOGO, this is one of the most popular types of sales promotions. It’s appealing to consumers because, psychologically, nothing feels better than getting something for free. If you’ve got excessive inventory of a product, consider paring it with one of your more popular products as a BOGO deal. Keep in mind that BOGO deals work best when the appealing item is priced to maximize profits, so price appropriately.
- B) Price Deal – Consider temporarily reducing the price of one of our products. These days consumers are more price sensitive ever, and many people have a smart phone where they can research the cost of a product online before they choose to buy. If you use a price deal, say 10%, 20%, or 50% off, you can likely use the increase in the volume of sales to offset the cost of the discount.
2. Share Your Small Business Story on Social Media Everyone has a small business story (if you don’t believe us, check out our My StartUp Story Series ) and no time is better to share it than during Small Business Saturday. Market your small business with an email campaign to your customers educating them about the importance of shopping small, and your unique small business story. People are more likely to shop at places where they have a personal connection, so don’t be afraid to share your journey. If email is not your preferred strategy, consider using social media to promote yourself on social media. This works well for brick and mortar small businesses, but can also be highly effective for driving traffic to online businesses. Identify a hashtag (#SmallBizSat will be extremely popular) and get tweeting, pinning, and update your Facebook page.
3. Get Your Small Business on the Map As the primary sponsor of Small Business Saturday, American Express has a number of small business resources that can help you promote yourself during the shopping holiday. One of the their more powerful resources is their nationwide small business map, which Amex card users can use the find small businesses in their community. Visit American Expresses website and add yourself to the map. While you’re thinking about geography, the period leading up to Small Business Saturday is also the perfect time to make sure that your business is registered on Google Maps. As the most popular search engine, Google is probably the number one place that your small business will be found. Visit Google My Business and get registered today.
4. Give Yourself The Gift of Peace of Mind Small Business Saturday is a holiday in which people reflect upon the power of small businesses nationwide. While everyone else is out shopping for the holiday season, consider giving yourself the gift of peace of mind. Protecting your small business with general liability insurance is one of the best ways that you can ensure that your small business is up and running for next year’s small business Saturday. There’s a certain beauty in being small, and we are happy to celebrate that on small business Saturday. How is your business preparing for the holiday? Let us know in the comments.
Hiscox Social Media Contest: Share your SmallBiz Selfie In celebration of Small Business Saturday, Hiscox is hosting a social media contest! Send us your small business selfie using our hashtag #EncourageCourage. Share it with us on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram before midnight on Saturday and we will select one winner will receive an Apple Watch! Keep it for yourself or gift it to someone during the holiday season, either way you’re guaranteed to love one of this season’s must-have gadgets.