Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What kind of insurance is best for fitness professionals?
Fitness professionals may not think of their fitness small businesses as being vulnerable to malpractice lawsuits, but because even routine exercises and common techniques can cause harm, every client is a potential lawsuit. Hiscox understands that the risks you face are unique to fitness businesses, and that’s why we offer customized fitness insurance to members of many fitness professions, including, but not limited to, Small Fitness Club / Gym Owners, as well as:
Professional liability insurance, sometimes called errors and omissions insurance (E&O insurance), is insurance coverage for claims against businesses that provide professional and personal services – for businesses like yours. When is it important to have professional liability insurance? Examples include:
- Negligence: After twice weekly workouts for over a year, a client has met their personal training goal to lose ten inches from their waist and incorporate a healthy diet into their lifestyle. The client brings a claim against the personal trainer alleging that they did not personally train him properly, because he was unable to complete a marathon in which his friends and family had travelled to watch him run. Even if this is a groundless claim, a professional liability insurance may defend and indemnify you, up to your policy limits.
- Over exertion: A personal trainer instructs an older client to perform a specific exercise that requires substantial physical exertion. After completing the circuit that includes this exercise, the client is overcome with dizziness, experiences chest pain, and has to be rushed to the hospital. Even though the client had an existing heart condition, he claims that the trainer’s exercise circuit caused his heart attack, as well as mental anguish, and sues for damages. Professional liability insurance could protect you against claims of negligence and will appoint an attorney to defend you, if needed, even if you haven’t made a mistake.
Learn more about professional liability insurance.
General liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability (CGL), could protect your business from another person or business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs, and damage to property. Having this kind of coverage is beneficial in several instances:
- Damage to client property: A personal trainer is working with a client who puts their gym bag on the floor. Another customer nearby using a free weight puts it down, and it accidentally rolls onto the gym bag of the client. Because the bag contained cell phones and tablets, the client filed a legal claim for reimbursement. General liability insurance may protect against claims for your client’s property damage.
- Personal injury: While at lunch, a Pilates instructor is talking to a friend about a client in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this conversation and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim up to the limit of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.
- Bodily injury: While waiting to begin a personal training session, a client accidentally trips over another customer’s gym bag. She falls and injures herself. While it was a simple accident, she blames the personal trainer for not keeping the area clear and files a lawsuit. General liability insurance could protect against third-party claims of property damage, bodily injury and associated medical costs.
Learn more about general liability insurance.
Why fitness professionals choose Hiscox:
- Fast and simple: Online quotes or speak to a licensed agent – immediate coverage.
- Confidence: Hiscox Insurance Company Inc. is ‘A’ rated (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
- Coverage for contracts: Our professional liability coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Michael, Durham, NC
The whole process was great. Very easy to understand and gave me just what I needed, with NO over pricing these policies. Just an easy and straight forward company with what I needed and gave me options as our business grows.
Karen Hall & Co, Allisonville Road fishers, Indiana
“So far so good I’m enjoying the quickness and thorough customer service”
It was very easy simple to take care of the company was very nice
“Spot on for what I needed”
Straight forward and easy to understand. I already knew what I was looking for and didn’t have additional questions. My rating is based on not need any “real” assistance.
Rogelio, Aurora, CO
Good clear and fast communication
Daniel, Homestead, FL
“Highly recommended for anyone owning a small business.”
I gave Hiscox five stars for their very user friendly web site; their professionalism, availability, and reasonable costs.
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.