Office Insurance

Do you own your office and need to make sure it is protected? This optional upgrade provides small office insurance for buildings your business owns. Read on to find out what small office insurance does and doesn’t cover.

What is covered?

What is not covered?

  • Building property
 Earthquakes, floods and volcanoes
  • Physical damage or loss
  • Newly acquired property
 Computer testing, installation or repair
  • Lost business income
  • No deductions for depreciation


Office insurance does cover:

Building property
Your Hiscox building coverage includes the building structure, property used to maintain the building, indoor fixtures, and flooring.

Physical damage or loss
Your office building insurance protects you against risks like fire, lightning, explosion, windstorm, hail and smoke damage. Damage caused by vandalism is also covered.

Newly acquired property
We provide up to $250,000 of temporary coverage for a newly acquired or constructed building that you own for up to 30 days. After this time, you need to inform us to continue your office building insurance on that newly acquired or constructed building.

Lost business income
Since we understand how devastating a disaster can be, Hiscox small business insurance will pay the income your business loses and extra expenses you incur for up to 12 months if you cannot operate your business as a result of damage to your insured building. This would include up to 60 days of ongoing payroll expenses for your employees.

No deductions for depreciation
Buildings protected under a business owners insurance policy are valued at the replacement cost (not the market value). There is no deduction for depreciation. However, you must insure at least 80% of the value of your insured building or you may not be able to recover the full amount of any losses you incur.

Hiscox business owner policy – office insurance does not cover:

We want you to understand our commercial property insurance. That’s why we’re open about what we do and don’t cover. The following is a list of key items we don’t cover.

Earthquakes, floods and volcanoes
We won’t cover you for losses caused by earthquakes, floods or volcanoes.

Hiscox will not cover damage to your property caused by the failure of a power, communication or other utility service supplier.

Computer testing, installation or repair
Your office building insurance does not cover any losses that arise from any damage to your building, because of mistakes in the design, installation, testing, maintenance or modifications of your computer systems.

Business Owners Policy Claims Examples:

Fire damages your building - If a fire breaks out and destroys your building, we’ll cover the cost to rebuild, up to the policy limits.

Business income and expenses - If a fire damages your building cause you to relocate to a new location for 2 months the added expenses to move combined with any lost revenue are covered.


This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.