Who needs marriage counseling insurance?
Marriage counselors who provide clients (usually couples) with a safe space to talk openly about things that are disrupting their union should consider seeking professional and general liability insurance. At times, issues can come up when working with certain types of clients, such as those who don't connect with certain methodologies. Getting marriage counseling insurance is one of the most effective ways to decrease your risk while also providing beneficial services—especially for counselors working in private practices.
Related professionals we also insure
Policies available for marriage counselors
For most marriage counselors, two main types of insurance policies exist, each offering its own unique aspects of protection to help you run your small business as smoothly as possible.
Professional liability insurance for marriage counselors
Professional liability insurance—often referred to as E&O Insurance—offers several potential benefits to counselors: coverage against alleged or actual negligence, claims arising from past-rendered services, defense costs, personal injury (i.e., libel and slander) and more. Even though fraudulent acts and property damage are not covered by professional marriage counseling liability insurance, this type of insurance is beneficial for anyone who finds themselves providing a professional service or regularly advising clients.
- Loss of personal information: A marriage counselor's receptionist accidentally misplaced a file with sensitive client information. Although it was an accident, the information was compromised, and the client sued the marriage counselor. Professional liability insurance could protect the marriage counselor against claims of negligence and loss of HIPAA protected information.
- Negligence: A couple has been seeing a marriage counselor for months seeking counseling to rectify problems in their marriage. During a recent meeting the couple tells the counselor that the sessions are not doing any good, and they are headed for divorce. They blame the marriage counselor and say that they should have seen the signs of divorce earlier and the couple threatens to sue for professional negligence. Professional liability insurance may protect marriage counselors against claims of negligence even if they haven’t made a mistake.
When a client reacts negatively to treatment, accuses you of breaching confidentiality agreements or otherwise feels they've been damaged in some way by your services as a counselor, it's important to realize just how high the risk of being sued is. Professional liability insurance for marriage counselors is a crucial tool for providing both peace of mind and stability.
General liability insurance for marriage counseling
There are a number of scenarios that aren't covered under professional liability insurance. General Liability—also commonly referred to as commercial general liability (CGL)—covers your business against claims of bodily injury, any associated medical costs and property damage—none of which are covered by professional liability.
- Bodily injury: A marriage counselor rents an office in a medical professional building. The married couple get into a heated argument during a session, and the husband tries to leave the office in a fit of anger and falls and fractures his hand. He sues the marriage counselor for pain and suffering and medical costs. General liability insurance could protect you against third party claims for bodily injury.
- Personal injury: A marriage counselor is working with a couple that has an especially volatile relationship. The couple is often out of control and unruly in sessions and frequently doesn’t keep appointments. The counselor informs the couple that he can no longer treat them. The couple is irate and sues the counselor saying this his rejection slandered them, ruined their reputation and kept them from receiving treatment. General liability insurance could protect you if such a claim is made.
- Property damage: While in a client’s home for an in-home counseling session, a marriage counselor accidentally spills their coffee on an expensive area rug in the client's home. A general liability policy could cover the subsequent claim, up to the policy's limits of liability.
Though your own property isn't covered under general marriage counseling liability insurance, damage sustained to third-party properties—including via actions taken by your staff—may be covered.
Why do marriage counselors choose Hiscox?
At Hiscox, we understand just how much work goes into running a small business. Whether you run your own private practice or work as a marriage counselor in a different capacity, we can help your business grow with our liability insurance policies and allowing you to focus on what truly matters: providing beneficial services to clients in need.
Here are five reasons why marriage counselors choose Hiscox above other providers for professional liability insurance and general liability insurance:
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help you manage your cash flow.
- Tailored insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you—even if the claim has no basis—and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Coverage for contracts: Our liability insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.
- Passion for service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service—4.7/5 people surveyed recommended us.
Ready to learn more about how Hiscox insurance can help mitigate risk with marriage counseling insurance coverage? Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business, too. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Mark in San Clemente, CA
' Excellent Support and Product Knowledge. '
...Staff were knowledgeable about the various insurance options and products. They took their time accurately answering my questions and explaining all my options. I was very pleased with the support and product pricing.
Viterbo in Boston, MA
' Execellent People Providing Customer Focused Service '
The customer service was excellent! it made the difference for me going with Hiscox vs a competitor. The installment plan was also good. The slight drawback was the plan options in-terms of coverage requirements and questions on m ...The customer service was excellent! it made the difference for me going with Hiscox vs a competitor. The installment plan was also good. The slight drawback was the plan options in-terms of coverage requirements and questions on my state's requirements. But the flexibility and helpfulness of the staff made all the difference
Larry in Jackson
' Very helpful, informative and professional. '
Very helpful, informative and professional.
Monica in Arizona
' Quick & Easy '
Getting my quote and policy set up was very easy.
Vick in Los Angeles
Very good ,fast service , I will recommend to my friends Thank you
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.