Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What is Commercial General Liability Insurance?
General liability insurance protects your business from another person or business's claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below. View our quote examples to understand how much general liability insurance costs.
What Does General Liability Insurance Cover?
What is covered?
- Bodily Injury
- Damage to third party property
- Personal injury
- Advertising injury
- Electronic data liability
- Medical expenses
- Defense costs
- Actions of your full-time employees and temporary staff
- Supplemental payments
What is not covered?
- Your property
- Vehicles and boats
- Personal identifiable information
- Professional services
- Employee injury / workers' compensation
- Intent to injure
- Coverage outside policy period
- Known claims prior to start of policy
Why Do I Need General Liability Insurance?
Hiscox understands the risks your company faces and the importance of knowing your business is properly protected. Having general liability insurance coverage protects your business against third-party claims of bodily injury or damage to someone else's property. However, it does not protect your own personal property. This section explains what our business general liability insurance offers. You should consider general liability insurance coverage, also called commercial general liability insurance, if you or your employees:
- Interact with clients face to face - If you visit a client’s place of work, or clients visit yours
- Have access to a client’s equipment - For example, IT professionals should be covered against potential claims with IT business liability insurance
- Represent your client’s business
- Use third-party locations for any business related activities - For example, architects should make sure that they’re covered with architects business liability insurance
- Are required to have general liability insurance before entering into a contract
Example Professions We Insure
Your General Liability Insurance Policy Covers Claims Of
If you’re legally liable, Hiscox general liability insurance covers claims by third parties for bodily injury. For example, your client slips and falls in your office (or you cause an accident at a client’s premises). If they sustain an injury, and you’re liable, we’ll cover the subsequent bodily injury claim.
Damage to Third-Party Property
Hiscox general liability insurance covers the costs of damage to a third-party’s property caused by you or your employee and for which you are legally liable.
Hiscox general liability insurance coverage protects you against claims of libel or slander for which you are legally liable.
Hiscox protects you against the unintentional use of a third party's advertising idea if it is used as part of your advertising. We’ll also protect you if your advertisement or marketing materials infringe a third party’s copyright or trade slogan.
Electronic Data Liability
Added for consultants and technology service providers; if an employee damages a client’s property (e.g., a server) and the client's electronic data is damaged, Hiscox will cover any damages up to your limits of insurance for which you are legally liable.
If an accident occurs and someone other than your employee is injured, your Hiscox business general liability insurance policy also covers any associated medical expenses for each injured person, up to $5,000.
If you are sued, Hiscox will appoint a lawyer, if necessary, even if the lawsuit is groundless. We'll pay these costs on your behalf and they will not reduce your limit of liability.
Actions of Your Full-Time Employees and Temporary Staff
Hiscox provides general liability insurance coverage for business-related actions of your full-time employees and temporary staff.
Hiscox covers the following expenses if incurred:
- Legal defense costs.
- Up to $250 a day for loss of earnings and reasonable expenses you may incur as a result of assisting us in the investigation of the claim against you.
- Interest on damage awards.
Worldwide Insurance Coverage
We cover damage that occurs in the United States, its territories, and Canada. We also offer coverage for short periods of travel outside these areas.
Quote Online or Call a Licensed Insurance Agent
What Your Hiscox General Liability Insurance Policy Doesn't Cover
We want our customers to understand our general liability insurance policy. Below is a summary of some of the key exclusions regarding our general liability insurance coverage. For complete details of all the exclusions, please read the policy wording.
Personally Identifiable Information
Your general liability insurance policy doesn't cover your failure to protect any personally identifiable information that is in your care, custody or control.
Use of Vehicles and Boats
Your policy doesn't cover any claims arising out of the ownership or use of an automobile, aircraft or watercraft.
Your policy does not cover claims for damage to property you own or the property of others in your care, custody or control.
Your Hiscox general liability insurance policy does not cover any professional services performed by you. For example, claims for improper advice are not covered under general liability. To obtain coverage for your services, please see our information about professional liability insurance.
If one of your employees injures themselves on the job this will not be covered under your general liability insurance. To obtain coverage for on-the-job employee injury, please see our information about workers’ compensation insurance.
Learn More About General Liability Insurance
We recently surveyed 50,000 small businesses with fewer than 10 employees to determine how much they pay for general liability insurance. General liability insurance protects your business from a third party’s claims of property damage, and bodily injury and associated medical costs. The cost of general liability coverage can vary due to factors like the business’ size, location and industry, as well as the limits and deductibles that are selected. Based on the analysis, the typical cost for general liability insurance was approximately $30 per month.
Specifically, more than 80% of small businesses pay $30 per month or less for general liability coverage, while 95% pay $50 per month or less. Only 1% have a general liability insurance cost of over $100 per month.
Visit our general liability cost examples page.
At Hiscox, we know business insurance can be a complex subject. We’ve compiled answers to some common questions people frequently ask about general liability insurance.
Visit our general liability FAQs page.
Get Liability Insurance that Best Meets Your Needs
General liability insurance will not protect you from everything. For example, general liability insurance will not cover you against claims of negligence, even if it isn’t you or your business’ fault. Some people buy other business liability insurance along with general liability.
Why choose Hiscox coverage?
Hiscox specializes in business liability insurance for professional services businesses like yours.
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help manage your cash flow.
- Tailored Insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Coverage for contracts: Our liability insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Marjorie, Miami, Florida
Prompt and efficient customer service
Peter, Naples, FL
"Painless experience! It was very easy to get the coverage that was needed. I would definitely recommend this to others in small business."
Jason, Danville, VA
Super easy. Good rate too.
Andrew Thomas Clifton, Chicago, Illinois
Simple. Some of the site was a bit overpacked and it slightly overwhelmed me at times but everything else was great
Leveda, Medora, Indiana
Fast and friendly service
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Specific coverage terms can vary by class of business. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.