Get an instant, free quote and buy online.
What is Commercial General Liability Insurance?
General liability insurance protects your business from another person or business's claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and damage to property. Some examples of what could be covered are below:
A client falls over your bag and you are legally liable for the injury. We may cover the subsequent claim and related medical expenses up to your general liability policy's limits of liability.
Property damage and data loss
You spill coffee on a client’s server causing damage and loss of data. We may cover the subsequent claim up to your general liability policy's limits of liability.
One of your employees is at lunch. He talks to the owner of the shop about one of your clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We may cover the subsequent claim, up to your general liability policy's limits of liability, and pay for an attorney to defend you if necessary.
You should consider general liability insurance coverage, also called commercial general liability insurance, if you or your employees:
- Interact with clients face to face - If you visit a client’s place of work, or clients visit yours
- Have access to a client’s equipment - For example, IT professionals should be covered against potential claims with IT business liability insurance
- Represent your client’s business
- Use third-party locations for any business related activities - For example, architects should make sure that they’re covered with architects business liability insurance
- Are required to have general liability insurance before entering into a contract
Having general liability insurance coverage protects your business against third-party claims of bodily injury or damage to someone else's property. However, it does not protect your own personal property. Hiscox understands the risks your company faces and the importance of knowing your business is properly protected.
Visit our general liability coverage details page.
We recently surveyed 50,000 small businesses with fewer than 10 employees to determine how much they pay for general liability insurance. General liability insurance protects your business from a third party’s claims of property damage, and bodily injury and associated medical costs. The cost of general liability coverage can vary due to factors like the business’ size, location and industry, as well as the limits and deductibles that are selected. Based on the analysis, the typical cost for general liability insurance was approximately $30 per month.
Specifically, more than 80% of small businesses pay $30 per month or less for general liability coverage, while 95% pay $50 per month or less. Only 1% have a general liability insurance cost of over $100 per month.
Visit our general liability cost examples page.
At Hiscox, we know business insurance can be a complex subject. We’ve compiled answers to some common questions people frequently ask about general liability insurance.
Visit our general liability FAQs page.
Example professions we insure:
Get Liability Insurance that best meets your needs
General liability insurance will not protect you from everything. For example, general liability insurance will not cover you against claims of negligence, even if it isn’t you or your business’ fault. Some people buy other business liability insurance along with general liability.
Why choose Hiscox coverage?
Hiscox specializes in business liability insurance for professional services businesses like yours.
- Flexible payment options: We offer you the option of making monthly payments (with no additional fees) to help manage your cash flow.
- Tailored Insurance: We specialize in businesses like yours and tailor coverage to the risks in your field.
- Claims responsiveness: When a covered claim is reported, we will immediately defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.
- Coverage for contracts: Our liability insurance coverage satisfies most standard contract insurance requirements.
- Worldwide coverage: We protect you for work done by your business anywhere in the world, as long as the covered claim is filed in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.
- Passion for Service: Agents knowledgeable about your business concerns will provide you with excellent service – 4.8/5 of people surveyed recommended us.
Get a fast, free quote now and get that Hiscox confidence behind your business. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-866-283-7545 and speak with a Hiscox licensed agent, Monday through Friday from 8am-10pm EST.
Quote online or call a licensed insurance agent
Hiscox Customer Reviews
Marjorie, Miami, Florida
Prompt and efficient customer service
Peter, Naples, FL
"Painless experience! It was very easy to get the coverage that was needed. I would definitely recommend this to others in small business."
Jason, Danville, VA
Super easy. Good rate too.
Andrew Thomas Clifton, Chicago, Illinois
Simple. Some of the site was a bit overpacked and it slightly overwhelmed me at times but everything else was great
Leveda, Medora, Indiana
Fast and friendly service
This information is provided to assist you in understanding the coverage we offer and does not modify the terms and conditions of any insurance policy, nor does it imply that any claim is covered. Specific coverage terms can vary by class of business. Coverages are subject to underwriting and may not be available in all states.