If you’re like a growing majority of businesses, email is your “go to” channel for rapidly accelerating leads into sales, increasing customer engagement and boosting revenue.
Enterprises of all kinds engage in email marketing not only because it works, but because it works phenomenally well, and fast. There is simply no doubt that email marketing is thriving when you consider these pulse-pounding facts:
• The DMA (Direct Marketing Assoc.) reports that email marketing returned nearly $30 for every dollar spent on it in 2012, and is projected to account for $67.8 billion in sales.
• An April-May 2012 survey conducted by Constant Contact reported 83% of US small businesses (both B2B and B2C) named email as the most effective marketing tactic they use, topping even their web sites.
• Exact Target’s 2012 survey of consumer marketing channel preferences found an overwhelming majority of consumers (77%) prefer to receive permission-based promotions via email – topping all other channels – with direct mail a distant second at 9% and social media channels combined coming in at 6%.
• The same Exact Target study reports 66% of consumers have made a purchase as the direct result of an email marketing message.
• Email is still the most popular activity online; globally, 85% of people use the Internet to check email, while 61% use it for social media (Ipsos, 2012).
• Consumers are taking email with them across platforms. Checking email is the No. 1 activity on mobile phones (Pew, 2011) and No. 2 on tablets, after Web browsing (IDG, 2011).
So now I’m sure you’re convinced email should become or remain a part of your 2013 marketing mix. In the second part of this series, I will share my top five suggestions for increasing the impact of email marketing.
Karen Talavera heads Synchronicity Marketing and writes about how to successfully use email, social media and content marketing on the Enlightened eMarketing blog. For your free copy of the Top 10 Email Marketing Do’s and Don’ts or to request a no-cost, no-obligation breakthrough session click here.